EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

A Collection of EC DID YOU KNOW Facts

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

A Collection of EC DID YOU KNOW Facts

Postby MissLT » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:15 am

- It's impossible to lick your elbow.

- Botanically speaking, the banana is a herb and the tomato is a fruit.

- An onion, apple, and potato all have the same taste. The differences in flavor are cause by their smell. (Try to block your nose and you'd see)

- US Post Office handles 43% of the world's mail. Its nearest competitor is Japan with 6%.

- There are more than 150 million sheep in Australia, a nation of 17 million people.

Feel free to add more facts you know/find online here.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: A Collection of EC DID YOU KNOW Facts

Postby Dixie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:22 am

LennyeTran wrote:
- An onion, apple, and potato all have the same taste. The differences in flavor are cause by their smell. (Try to block your nose and you'd see)

Geez I have to try this!!!!!!
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby fadi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:50 am

me too Dixie :lol: :lol: :lol:
fadi

Postby MissLT » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:49 pm

- The slowest fish is the Sea Horse, which moves along at about 0.016 km/h (0.01 mph). (I wonder which one is slower, a sea horse or a snail, in speed? :? )

- A giraffe can clean its ears with its 50cm (20 in) tongue. (GROSS!!!! I saw this on Animal Planet, the top ten disgusting animals.)

- Dinosaurs did not eat grass: there weren't any at that time (now tell me, this is a stupid discovery or not? :lol: )

- The pig is rated the fourth most intelligent animal (How refreshing! In Vietnamese, we compare a dumb person to a cow or a pig :lol: )

- Animals also are either right-handed or left-handed. Polar bears are left-handed - and so is Kermit the Frog. (Why is this fact needed to know is beyond my understanding!?!?!? )
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:14 pm

- The Bible, the world's best-selling book, is also the world's most shoplifted book. (I hope that person uses that Bible to pray for the stealing sin :lol: )

- A square piece of dry paper cannot be folded in half more than 7 times. ( I can only fold it in half for 5 times.)

- In the 6th century BC Greek mathematician Pythagoras said that earth is round - but few agreed with him.

Greek astronomer Aristarchos said in the 3rd century BC that earth revolves around the sun - but the idea was not accepted.

In the 2nd century BC Greek astronomer Erastosthenes accurately measured the distance around the earth at about 40,000 km (24,860 miles) - but nobody believed him.

In the 2nd century AD Greek astronomer Ptolemy stated that earth was the centre of the universe - most people believed him for the next 1,400 years. (How ironic! People only liked to believe the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything had to evolve around it :roll: )

- There are more than 600 million telephone lines, yet almost half the world's population has never made a phone call on a land line. However, more than half the world's population has made a cell phone call. There are more than 2 billion cell phones in use.

- Half the world's population is under 25 years of age. (I belong to this half 8) )
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:10 am

Mercedes cars are named after an Austrian girl

In 1897, Austrian businessman Emil Jellinek, travelled from his home in Nice, France to purchase a car from the Daimler factory in Cannstatt, Germany. On his return to the French Riviera, his sporting Daimler Phoenix caused such a sensation that he decided to enter it into a local touring competition, under the name of "Mercedes" after his favourite 9 year old daughter. Realising the business potential for the new car, he not only placed an order for 36 more, but also secured the franchise for selling them in several countries. Gottlieb Daimler also agreed to having them sold under the name of "Mercedes."

The Mercedes trade name was registered after Daimler's death in 1900 and the 3-pointed star became the trade mark. Daimler had once drawn the emblem on a postcard to his wife, the star symbolising the growth of the business into transport on land, sea and air.

For Karl Benz, a name for his automobile was simple: he enclosed his name in a cogwheel to exemplify the solidness of his engineering works at Mannheim. The cogwheel later became a laurel wreath.

After the First World War the Daimler and Benz companies worked closer together, generally advertising on the same posters. They amalgamated in 1926, combining the laurel wreath and 3-pointed star as their trade mark.

Interestingly, although Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz were two of the major pioneers in the automotive industry, they probably never met, even though they lived only 100km (60 miles) from each other in Germany. Daimler passed away in 1900. Daimler-Benz amalgamated in 1926. (copied)
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:14 am

A fresh egg will sink in water, but a stale one won't

Can't remember if an egg is fresh or hard boiled? Just spin the egg. If it wobbles, it's raw. If it spins easily, it's hard boiled. A fresh egg will sink in water, a stale one will float.

Eggs contain all the essential protein, minerals and vitamins, except Vitamin C. But egg yolks are one of few foods that naturally contain Vitamin D.

The colour of the egg shell is not related to quality, nutrients, flavour, or cooking characteristics. White shelled eggs are produced by hens with white feathers and white ear lobes. Brown shelled eggs are produced by hens with red feathers and red ear lobes. Bown egg layers usually are slightly larger and require more food, thus brown eggs usually cost more than white eggs.

China produces most eggs, at about 160 billion per year. In the US, about 260 million hens produce more than 65 billion eggs per year. A hen can lay about 250 eggs per year. (copied)
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: A Collection of EC DID YOU KNOW Facts

Postby sweethuman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:38 am

• IF A HORSE RESTS IN HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDER IT MEANS THE HORSE TRUSTS YOU
sweethuman
Rough Diamond Member

Return to Ideas and Opinions