EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Body Language

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Body Language

Postby swan » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:42 pm

Hi Every Body

Body Language

When we want to communicate with others we use words. Also, there's another way to be in touch with other. Body language makes us communicate without words.
Body language uses unspoken words and therefore it is called "nonverbal communication". This kind of language tells something about the relationship between people, and their feeling. Body language enables us to express ourselves through conscious, subconscious, body movement and facial expressions. We use them all day .For example, nodding the head means "yes" and shaking it means "No". Also, looking or not at somebody in body language has a meaning. Learning and understanding body language makes us interpret the body language of others, but to become more experts on interpreting and using it increase our awareness of nonverbal signal. It is important to know that body language has different meanings in different cultures. For instance, Wiston Churchil used "V" sign gesture for victory, but in Europe and South Asia countries it means the number two. Some experts say "nonverbal signals are more important than verbal ones". According to their studies body language comprises 55% of any response whereas the verbal content only 7% .Sometimes our nonverbal message contradicts what we say in words. Says Mrs. Vege. When we send mixed messages and our verbal message don't jibe with our body statement, our credibility can crumble.
Finally, most people underestimate the importance of nonverbal placed more emphasis on spoken words
[/color]

pleaze your opinion
swan

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:43 pm

good post! Nonverbal communication is very very important for our daily life.
Admiral

Postby Sunnypk » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:19 am

hmm very good. I liked very much and got very much knowledge about the BODY LANGUAGE.
Sunnypk
Platinum Member

Postby Arale » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:50 am

Body or gesture language is a very interesting subject at my university. It's fun to study about it. In each country, the gesture languages are different, that may cause culture shocks. So be careful when you use gesture language when going abroad.These are some commonly used signs in most countries.

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby shokin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:33 am

But body language can be very ambiguous. How to interprete it ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_language

And (too) much based on appearance.

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:17 am

When my cousins from France came back to Vietnam for their vacation in '96, we were having trouble to communicate with each other. I couldn't speak French while they couldn't speak Vietnamese. And we had limited knowledge of English. Actually, their English was pretty okay unlike mine. We got through understanding what the other was saying by body language. It was a lot of hand moving, swing here and there, pointing at this and that, describing things by drawing in the air, etc. It was hilarious.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:19 am

Arale wrote:Body or gesture language is a very interesting subject at my university. It's fun to study about it. In each country, the gesture languages are different, that may cause culture shocks. So be careful when you use gesture language when going abroad.These are some commonly used signs in most countries.

_Arale_

I've heard that when a woman puts her hand on a guy's hand and kinda touches it softly during their first date, it means she's interested in him physically. :twisted:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Arale » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 am

That's right, Shokin. Each one also shows his/her body language with different meanings. Its ambiguity can cause bad effects.

For example, in the United States they make a circle with our thumb and first finger and this means OK. In Japan, it means 'money', and in South America this gesture has a sexual meaning. Former President Richard Nixon made a huge mistake when, on a trip to South America, he held up both hands using this OK gesture. And of course the participators were shocked because it meant something entirely different than OK to them.

Gesture language often shows the true feeling of the speakers. So the gesture language is more realiable than the spoken language.

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Re: Body Language

Postby MissLT » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:39 am

swan wrote:For example, nodding the head means "yes" and shaking it means "No".

There's a difference between some Asian cultures and the English culture in answering yes-no questions. For example, in Vietnamese, my culture, when one asked a question such as, didn't you just call her yesterday? Vietnamese would answer yes if they DIDN'T call her yesterday (Yes, I didn't call her yesterday) and no if they DID (No, I called her yesterday). Hence, nodding for yes and shaking for no. English culture is a bit different. They would answer no if they DIDN'T (No, I didn't call her yesterday) and yes if they DID (Yes, I did).

I didn't know this at first. That's why when I was in my English class and the teacher asked me, didn't you hand it in yesterday?, when he was asking me about my project. I shook my head to mean that I did hand my project in already. He was totally confused. He had to ask me fourth times to comprehend I was answering his question in the Asian way. :oops: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by MissLT on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Arale » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:41 am

LennyeTran wrote:
I've heard that when a woman puts her hand on a guy's hand and kinda touches it softly during their first date, it means she's interested in him physically. :twisted:

It's good, isn't it? The girl needn't say with words, which may be hard. But it's bad if the boy doesn't know its meaning. :mrgreen:

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions