EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Only some countries should develop nuclear potential.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Only some countries should develop nuclear potential.

Postby TalkingPoint » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:31 pm

Only some countries should be allowed to develop their nuclear potential.

What do you think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby wllsp » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:55 pm

Are we talking about nuclear weapons or about producing energy on nuclear power plants?

Of course, it's quite reasonable to take steps in order to prevent new countries from getting nuclear bombs and missiles capable of delivering them. Especially as such states often have disputes with other ones and just want to be more prepared for a possible war.

Building nuclear powerhouses must not be a problem if there is no doubt about the purpose of a country. Nonetheless, it is necessary to remember the tradgedy of Chernobyl power plant and build very reliable power stations.
wllsp
Gold Member

Nuclear potential

Postby Lac » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:54 pm

If a country could be allowed to produce nuclear potential, it would be easy for it to expand its overwhelming power over other countries. Some nations that have right to expand nuclear power equally claim themselves to get privilege against all other nations. That's an unjustice in something called politic strategy.
The matter is how to use a nuclear potential in a right scientific way for the benefit of human kind, not for devious and envious targets. That claims an overall control to master completely not only nuclear power but also biochemical means.
Lac
Silver Member

Postby nokeby » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:25 pm

Who can judge if a country is allowed to get the nuclear power?

Even if a country have rights reasons to obtain this power, i want to say right in order to develop it, i have never seen a country that have already the nuclear power to help another to develop it.

Perharps there isn't a country with goods intentions and without the nuclear power today ?
But when i see all neclear submarines neglected in russia or certains method of reprocessing in countries i asked me who can forbide this process at other government ?
nokeby

Postby MooNboy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:32 pm

nokeby wrote:Who can judge if a country is allowed to get the nuclear power?

Agreed. Who judges?
Iran and the USA. Which seems dangerous?To me, both.
The USA and North Korea.Which seems dangerous? To me, both.
Turkey and Italy.Which seems dangerous? To me, both.
Turkey and Italy, which needs the energy?Both.
So who will decide?
Everybody has right to do what he needs. So, Turkey,the USA, Greece, France....Iran, Israel, Lubanen....Korea...All have right to develop nuclear plants and provide energy.
BUT none of them has right to develop the bomb.If one developed, the others gain the right to develop it.

I mean, if one needs something, the others may need it too.
If one has the right, the others have the right.
MooNboy
Gold Member

Postby hung » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:10 am

The question here is how to use and control nuclear power. It is obviously good if governments use nuclear power for energy purpose. And we also should not blame some nations for developing nuclear weapons if they have righteous reasons such as defending humanlity against destroying dangers (e.g. Invasions of aliens, meteorites bumping on our Earth ...) :P
hung
Silver Member

Nuclear

Postby cuongviet » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:35 am

Excuse me!!! I don't understand who have the rights to allow whether a country should develop nuclear potential or not. If they are some powerful countries who have already had this kind of technology. It is unfair.
But I support the idea only using nuclear potential to benefit the lives of human beings, to create energy, not using it as a kind of weapon. :oops:
cuongviet

Re: Nuclear

Postby wllsp » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:43 am

cuongviet wrote:I don't understand who have the rights to allow whether a country should develop nuclear potential or not. If they are some powerful countries who have already had this kind of technology. It is unfair.

OK, let's take a closer look at one of tense situations. So North Korea is developing its nuclear bomb and its missiles. Who are against it? USA, South Korea, Japan and China are. Two of them have nuclear bombs and the others don't.

Is it unfair for them to critisize N. Korea for doing it? Don't think so. Certainly, they care about own interests but it's absolutely fair for Japan and South Korea to do it because N. Korea is powerful and somewhat agressive. Personally I wouldn't also like an idea to have a neighbour who is often sort of unpredicatable and who is going to buy a gun.

cuongviet wrote:But I support the idea only using nuclear potential to benefit the lives of human beings, to create energy, not using it as a kind of weapon. :oops:

As far as I know Vietnam doesn't have sort of bad neighbours at the moment. So, yes, there is no point in developing its own nuclear capabilities.
wllsp
Gold Member

Postby wllsp » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:48 am

MooNboy wrote:
nokeby wrote:Who can judge if a country is allowed to get the nuclear power?

Agreed. Who judges?
Iran and the USA. Which seems dangerous?To me, both.
The USA and North Korea.Which seems dangerous? To me, both.
Turkey and Italy.Which seems dangerous? To me, both.

OK, I understand your point about USA and Iran. But, what's wrong with Italy? Why it is so dangertous? Could you tell me?
wllsp
Gold Member

Postby `aFiFah » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 am

for me,each country in this world has the right to develop their potential in neuclear power .as long as they care about the welfare of all people in this world,for me its not a big problem :D
`aFiFah

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion