EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Grown-up children should look after their elderly parents.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:08 am

What do YOU think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby MissLT » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:48 pm

Yes.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby wllsp » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Of course, they should help and look after their parents unless they don't like them.

I've met some people who said that their parents were very important people to them. And it was quite clear that those guys were going to take care of their parents.

And I know people who, sadly, do not feel anything towards their parents or one of their parents. Sometimes they even dislike them. For instance it might be caused by the fact that their parents divorced when they were very young and one of parents did'd take any part in their upbringing and actually behaved as if he or she didn't love them. Or one of them was an alcoholic. It happens from time to time. As a result there is no connection between a child and a parent. I'm not surprised that in this case elderly parents or one of them didn't receive any attention. It seems cruel but it results from the other cruelty.
wllsp
Gold Member

Grown up children should take care of their parents

Postby cuongviet » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:05 am

Grown up children should take care of their parents in return. Because who raise them, who teach them right from wrong, who give them love and protect them when they was just little chidren who don't have enough ability to avoid temptation and risk.Moreover, where we are from ? Who give them the previledge to exist in the world. This is their obligation to take care of their parents
cuongviet

Postby xingxing » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:42 am

Of course ,we must take care of our parents when they turn old .And also ,we should accompany them when they feel loney .on our way to mutul and success ,our parents have given us everthing whatever they have .It will be forever not enough that we do for them .I love my parents for ever .
xingxing

grown-up children should look after their parents

Postby meylenlau » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:17 am

When our parents are too old and can't take care of themselves and we as children should take care of them.
As humans we need to be thankful and filial.The basic morality we need to fulfill is to take care of our parents , not only that, we also need to forgive and condone whatever they couldn't provide.....or mistakes they had done.... or else these old people will suffer at their old-age with nobody cares for them.
We will be getting old too, we must set good examples for our children to see, learn and inculcate the good value in them. Hopefullly this example will be inculcated in their mind and they'll look after us when we are old.
Of course we can't predict what'll happen when we are old,as life is really uncertain, but at least we set the good example to educate them that taking care of old parents is the right /good way to practise, as children we should take care of old parents .
Alike a business investment, this is a humans' morality invesment, win or loss nobody can assure, but is a good investment!!!
meylenlau

Postby JMD » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:25 pm

i think we should take care of them just becuase of the fact that they gave us life. I understand some parents aren't what they are supposed to be and that some sons and daugthers don't feel like they should take care of them because of that, so i guess we can't apply one answer to everybody.

Also there are different ways of taking care, i could be economicly or moraly. I think the hardest is to take care of them moraly because it might keep you from living your own life but if they did it for us, why shouldn't we do it for them.
JMD
Silver Member

Postby sunnyni » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:34 pm

Undoubtly we should take care of our elder parents.And our parents need our care.

First, our parents spend all their energy and time to bring us up from a little baby. With the growing of the children, they become older and older. They need more help in the daily life. Our children has this responsibility to do it.

Second, human is a advanced animal,which is social.
Then people become elder, they want more affection and accompany, They hope all their children can sit around them.

Third, with the rapid development of economic, the competition is severe, there is a heavy burden on the new generation's shoulder. So many elder people don't want to give more burden to their children, so they perfer to live alone.

whatever happen, our young people should do what we should do, Don't forget we are someone's children too. Affection is the most important in everybody's life.
sunnyni

we must do it.

Postby openboy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:16 pm

We are human. We are have a heart. So we must do it.
openboy

Re: Grown-up children should look after their elderly parent

Postby wllsp » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:54 am

davidtinglon wrote:It will be accused by the people and punished by law if one does't take good care of there parents.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of punishment is there in China for not caring about your own parents? Is it possible to be sentensed to prison? Or is it just a fine? Could you tell me, please.
wllsp
Gold Member

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion