EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What makes people do so much shopping these days?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby greencat » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:45 pm

Firstly, people are becoming richer, they have more money to spend.
Secondly, products nowaday are more diversified not only in appereance but also in purpose. So people now have more choices. You can see that cellphone company continually introduce their new design with new services. Or tendency of fashion changes according to time.
And people don't want to be left behind. They get bored with the old ones and keep their eyes on the newer. Especially for the rich, who have so much money to spend, they always like unique things. To some extend, shopping is a way to show how generous they are.
greencat
Silver Member

Postby JMD » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:42 pm

my guess is that they think materials will make them happy. or maybe they think their worth goes hand in hand with the stuff they have.,,

but anyways, everyone has a different reason for that..
JMD
Silver Member

Postby geminibuon » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:35 am

I think people can earn more money than the past. So they spend money for shopping to make their life more comfortable than the past. In addition, shopping develop the economy 8)
geminibuon

shoping

Postby NehaRajput » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:06 am

I think the things that make us to shop more and more, are following which have very high influnces on our lives.
media,
advertisements
posters.
glamour
and much more. BY seeing all this daily, we wish to have all this stuf too, whether necessary for us or not. WE just by seeing all this want to buy them.
And also for sake of being better than others , being glamourous, and fashionable, we buy numbers of useless things, and spend our money.
NehaRajput

Not likely

Postby fefanng » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:16 am

All people do not shopping more in the world. For example, in China, people prefer to save their money in bank, stock market and other invest ways.

Why do people in other countries do more shopping? Because those countries have better welfare system so that the people do not need to worry about their future medicare fee, their children's education and other unexpected expanse. As a result, when they get money in hand, they spend them.
fefanng

Postby exceedego » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:47 am

LennyeTran wrote:Their lives are getting better, so they like to have more trash in their houses.... :?

I agree with you, since lives getting much better, there are more and more useless thing at home
exceedego

Postby marion » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:49 am

I think it's anthropological and solicial problem or it's humans's attributes.you know we tend to draw comparison with others,so when you dress not good,you want to win.what's more,when you are free you got sth to do ,shopping is a good way to kill time.
marion

these days people are like much and more shoping

Postby krishan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:51 am

I am an indian,india is a developing country. The people are becoming rich day by day. We are looking that they want change in their life. They are getting good education and earn a lot of money. In the present time we are looing many shopping mall and complex. People have a lot of money and they want to spend the money. The desire to spend the money is day by day increasing. That's the reason they want to more shopping.
krishan

Postby marion » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:16 am

from the answers posted by others,people tend to think going to shopping is the the result of getting rich and desiring to live well.but in my opinion,it's just the facial(on the surface) clues,in word and deed,it's deposition,we know,some people are very rich but dislike shopping ,they hate the bargaining,hate shuttling in the supermarkets,but you will say most people like shopping especial girls.Right,that's because most people are common persons and the girls' characteristic are different for mens'.
marion

Postby Bambang » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:53 pm

Laxuan wrote:I think shopping isn't suitable for me, it's a waste of time to walk around for many hours just to buy
clothes, jewelry, or something like that. My mother or my girlfriend often do this for me.

Still you go shopping my friend. The difference is you don't want to spend much time to do it. The essence is the same dude. But on this case, you do not go shopping directly to the shop. You get someone to do it for you. What a good strategy!!!

Next, I'd like to invite any body in this forum to reduce our shopping habit on unimportant things. We should buy something because we need it, not because we want it. Before we buy something, we should ask ourselves "Do I really need this thing?" or "Do I just want it?". So let's buy something because we need it.

My friend, what selfish creatures we are when we go shopping uncontrollably while there are thousands or maybe millions of people who are starving to death.
Why don't we put side some of our money for them, the needy.
:cry:
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion