EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Dixie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:20 am

Like I said on another thread, I'm just about to finish George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. I just love it. I find it brilliant. There are not many words to describe such novel. I was just wondering if more people around here are familiar with it? :roll:
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Nu » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:55 pm

An' what is it about? i'm preparin' to FCE test an' one of the books I need to read is this one... so could you enlighten me? more details )
Nu
Silver Member

Postby Dixie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:57 pm

It explains a future society where everything is controlled: not only the society but also the individual itself. Every movement, every thought, is controlled by the government or what in the novel is called "The Big Brother".
Dixie

Postby Nu » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Tnx, Dixie...

It might be interesting to read... it reminds me of the ideas which were tried to develop by the USSR goverment... do u think it's connected things?
Nu
Silver Member

Postby wllsp » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Sure, they are connected. You can read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four what inspired the author.
wllsp
Gold Member

Postby Nu » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:27 pm

2 wllsp

ok, i see ) an' what about u? have u read it? what's your impression of the book?
Nu
Silver Member

Postby Cypress » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Nu wrote:
It might be interesting to read... it reminds me of the ideas which were tried to develop by the USSR goverment... do u think it's connected things?

When I read another book by George Orwell called Animal Farm, I was astonished by how much it resembled life in the former Soviet Union :shock:
Cypress
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:32 pm

Cypress wrote:When I read another book by George Orwell called Animal Farm, I was astonished by how much it resembled life in the former Soviet Union :shock:

Animal Farm is a satire about the Soviet Union during that time...
Dixie

Postby Cypress » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:35 pm

Dixie wrote:
Cypress wrote:When I read another book by George Orwell called Animal Farm, I was astonished by how much it resembled life in the former Soviet Union :shock:

Animal Farm is a satire about the Soviet Union during that time...

no wonder
Cypress
Gold Member

Postby wllsp » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:18 pm

Nu wrote:have u read it? what's your impression of the book?

Yes, I read it translated in Russian in late 80's. To be honest I was not impressed very much by the book. I think it's due to the fact that at that time there were a lot of really intresting stories about true history of the USSR, about Stalin and his regime, about repressions in the USSR which were published by magazines like "Ogonek". Recall, the book was written in 40's and I think it shocked millions of people since that time. But having read hundreds of stories printed after perestroika I can't say that I found something impressive in it.
wllsp
Gold Member

Next

Return to Books & Authors