EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Yes, of course!

Postby reini » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 pm

They should teach us all we may need in the daily routine. :lol:

If they don't teach us these words then is something left.
reini

Postby wllsp » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Actually it depends on one's level at the language. In the British Council there are sixteen levels in order to assess one's level at English. So if you have first level you are a novice, if you have sixteenth level you are as good as a native speaker.

In 2002 I got through an FCE exam so my level was 13th.
I think that for many people who have this level it's sort of waste of time learning all this stuff before, say, forteenth level or even higher levels. So if one doesn't feel necessity it's of no use to study these words. And teachers should not spend their time during lessons explaing to students how to use them.
wllsp
Gold Member

about taboo

Postby sharklish » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:02 pm

the teacher should not teach the taboo words on anything purpoes or avoid them for any worries ,when he or she meets some cussed words during the lessons ,just meet it and go ahead smoothly and naturally .And i think the students has the right to know anything closely relate to them .
sharklish

Postby Nu » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:10 pm

Hmm... one day i practised my French with native speakers... i was telling a story and suddenly said a word which made them look at me in surprise whispering 'how could you say that' ... lately i was explained it was extremely rude to use that word... so before openin' your mouth be sure that u really know an exact meaning of the word and if it is ok to say that one...

Of course, i wouldn't have made such a mistake if my teacher had told me about taboo words in time... but at lessons we don't have enough time to learn important things not only taboo stuff... so don't forget about self-education especially when we have such a lot of sites explaining slang... For instance, here

http://slangcity.com/index.html
Nu
Silver Member

Postby JMD » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:54 pm

this is a hard question. :? i mean i do use a little bit of bad words but, have you talked to someone who says nothing but bad words when they are not even trying to be funny?

i think teachers should explain that saying bad words doesn't look good and that they will not get you anywhere. sure sometimes they are funny but in certain situations, not all the time. anyway everyone is going to end up learning these words, but it is better to explain what they are and what consecuences they have then to teach them all these words.

and if i had a kid and came home talking nothing but bad words and said that the teacher taught them to him, i would knock the ~ out of this teacher :evil: :lol:
JMD
Silver Member

Postby crusher » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:22 am

First of all, I'd like to say hi to all members, I have just joined to this forum and happy to be member of it,as well.

Thinking of no necessary to teach to students taboo words, those usage will be able to be negative impact for the basic aducation sytem,the better way is to leave those usage in daily life which are going to give the best response in the course of time with enough tolerans.

Rgrds,
crusher

Postby crystalfrogw » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:29 pm

I think only native speakers can use them properly.....and understand these bad wors.....so it is not possible for nonnative english teachers to teach the words.........some fuuny mistakes will made...... i think......
crystalfrogw

Postby vnsupport » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:37 pm

learning taboo words is at least not bad in my opinion. knowing these words can help you to avoid when talking especially in foreign language ! learning new things is not bad but abusing them !
in class we rarely be taught taboo words. coming here i hope to learn new things from friends all over the world, and so do you, right ? difference in cultures makes us some times misunderstand each other. discuss things openly is good for all of us !
can anyone teach me some taboo words ? how to use it? in what case?[/code]
vnsupport

Teach them.

Postby Janette » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:26 pm

Taboo words should be taught. You should know what people are saying to you.

I remember when I first came to America. I was trying to practice English at the mall. The sales woman did not like me and she called me a "stupid foreign ----." (I remember the last word she said but I don't want to type it :oops: ).

I was not sure she was making an insult. I knew "stupid" could be bad, but I wasn't sure.

But I knew she was insuling me because of my friend. He was very upset and he made us leave the store.

The lady was smiling. She talked like she was being nice but used the bad words. If I was alone I would not have been sure about the insult. If I had known the bad words, I would have been sure.

This is why I think teachers should teach taboo words. It is important to know what people are saying to you. We cannot know that for certain if we don't know the words they are using.
Janette

My opinion

Postby Kathfap » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:52 am

Teachers must use correct words with students. Some times is difficult don’t use taboo words into or out of classroom. I think that teachers can contribute to improve our vocabulary. These words are easy to learn, but it is not a good idea when you learn a new language. Really it is pleasant to listen a person speak correctly. :!: :!: :D
Kathfap

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion