EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Globalisation: is it good or bad?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:51 pm

What do YOU think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby JMD » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:27 am

i think is a good thing. at least it helps to make different cultures and countries work together. making a posible future of the whole world as one.

a lot of people here complain about other countries coming to get cheap labor and buying properties. But because of that people here have jobs (well paid or not at least they have one). and i wonder why they complain about the property, if they don't sell it, it would just be sitting there without giving profit of anykind.

in the culture side i now that the mixing of cultures might be a problem but the culture itself is what sometimes seperates people.
JMD
Silver Member

Postby Nu » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:39 pm

JMD wrote:i think is a good thing. at least it helps to make different cultures and countries work together. making a posible future of the whole world as one.
in the culture side i now that the mixing of cultures might be a problem but the culture itself is what sometimes seperates people.

I quite agree with u... i hope in fiture there won't be any boundaries on our maps...we all are passengers of the same ship... it's much easier to communicate with each other when there are no need of visa or e.t.c. Although everybody (and u mentioned it too) tells about possibility of escaping some features of every culture that make it unique if globalization takes place... from my point of view, it's not such a big problem it seems to be... what should be kept, I think, will be... and moreover, I suppose that not culture seperates us but misunderstanding and intolerance...this is a real problem...
Nu
Silver Member

Postby JMD » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:36 pm

ur right my friend, what should be kept it will be kept.... moral is the same everywhere, and bad things are the same everywhere too, regardless of the culture where they happen.

COME ON PEOPLE, POST SOMETHING (NOT "SOMETHING" BUT SOMETHING)
JMD
Silver Member

Postby Lac » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:42 am

I think the globalisation is certainly a good thing that human needs to reach. Globalisation, to my humble opinion,is by no means the mix of different cultures with all its unique characteristics. One may reach an agreement after a lot of basic issues being previously come to terms. The globalisation itself means nothing unless it aims at the specific target beneficial to all countries involved.
Referring to the globalisation, we're immediately aware of sitting together for discussion,exchanging all matters given. Also, you're often heard about global strategy, global cooperation, yet never global culture,global civilization or race ..etc.
One of you, Russian friend, is quite right saying how we still have barriers of intolerance and misunderstanding. Globalisation means sitting together for some kind of cooperation based on certain conventional standard, namely most of misapprehension as well as distrust needed to be dodged.
I say that because we are often occupied by our prejudice resulting from our own subjective insights.
Reaching the globalisation, one should have a two-way view, more exactly, a view of multiple directions in which all of different ones could interact with each other.
Globalisation is not a hodge-podge of miscellaneous things in connection with religion, politic, dogma. On the contrary, it must be based on mutual respect, understanding and concession.
Lac
Silver Member

Postby dungthumon » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:40 am

in fact , globalisation is fine in some ways . You can imagine someday everybody can make friends easily without the barrage of language .People in the world can travel everywhere and don't worry about comlicated procedures such as visa , passport .. etc . In other words , global economy will sharply develop that leads to non-apperance of war , poverty , pandemic . moreover , Everyone will live in an ideal and united society .
however , on the other hand , globalisation can also help crimes , terrorism increase highly unless the matter of security is entighted . Secondly , culture of variety of countries can be influenced little or much , that make features of them lost and turn the world into the boring place with similar cultures.For exmple , when Western culture comes into Asia , it changes considerably the life of this continent with the emergence of mini skirts , sexual images on the cover of the adult magaxines that was not accepted before by tradition .
In sum , globalisation is good or not depends much on the way people obtain and understand it.
dungthumon

Postby serenella » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:48 am

dungthumon wrote: culture of variety of countries can be influenced little or much , that make features of them lost and turn the world into the boring place with similar cultures.

That's the point in my opinion.
Globalisation is a good thing if it doesn't make the variety of cultures disappear. Every people has a real richness in their own cultural heritage which should be preserved.
Do you think we are able to live in globalised world without losing the peculiarity of our cultures?
serenella
Gold Member

Postby Nu » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:40 pm

why not ?
That's what i was talking about in my post... about possibility of globalisation in some particular areas such as money, territory... to help people move from place to place easily +)

what about other things...mmm don't u think that there will always be people keepings traditions and rules of their country ? +)
Nu
Silver Member

Postby bigpotato » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:51 am

I think the globalisation is both beneficial and harmful.
The advantages of the globalization process can be seen in the development of the world recently. Many developing countries like China or India which lived poorly and saparately during the cold war have had fantastic changes to have very strong economy in the time of globalisation. That because these country has change their policy to be a good player in the globalisation: opened their market, broadened relationship among nations and stimulated investment from oversea. And that is what all multinational companies want. Many branches of the corporations have been opened in these countries to profit from the cheap labor costs or market - closed condition. That also means a lot of labors of these countries will be hired, there lives will be better. And the number of unemployed people and crimes decreases. It’s meaningful for the developing countries like China, the very potencial market with over billions of people. The huge profits which these companies could reach by enlarging market makes the non-stop competition among these companies. As the result, labors’ wages and product’s quality increase, the prices of products drop. So, it’s us, the custumers will benefits most. We’ll have more choices for our demand, and the companies must offer a lowest posible price and attractive services along with to win the heart of customer. For example, in the past, some companies of China was exclusive in distributing products, like clothes, food, the price was high, the quality was poor and the custemer-caring service was very bad, and it’s funny that people had done anything to buy these product because of the demands; and now that’s imposible for any company which want to survive to do that. And as the result, custumers becomes god. Another advantages is that by opening to foreign companies, the developing countries can get approach to the innovative technologies. That’s very important for the development of these countries, which have not enough facilities and methods to go forward. In the side of culture, the globalisation helps people in other countries contact eachother and learn from each other. Now we have more opportunities to travel or to study abroad to discover the world. :)

But the worst thing of the globalisation, as I think,is what it happens to the nations' cultures. I agree with the view that it make features of these cultures lost and turn the world into the boring place with similar cultures. Just imagine how boring the world is when every country has the same customs, everyone wear the same cloths, everything is the same. There's nothing to discover. Then people will never want to travel, too :( . The world's beauty lost. And that is what happening. I'll talk about football (I mean soccer :D), my favourite sport. In the past, each national team had its own style of playing. Brazil team played beautifully, Germany team played firmly, Netherlander played a tripping football, e.g. But now, you can see in the 2006 world cup, every team play a similar football :cry: . I'll say again that globalisation is natural. It's unavoidable even we want or not. Then let it be. So what I am going to do now is travel and travel a lot and admire the distinctive beauty of every part of the world, feel at ease. Just relax :D .
bigpotato

Postby heart » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:53 pm

In my opinon ,, Good :) y 't?
I remmber my teacher who travel alot around the world
Evry day he tell us story about other country culture , food , people!
from Chaina to London to Arab countries many many many differents,
we should know , so that we didn't face problems,
heart
Silver Member

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion