EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Listening

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Postby KuteSophia » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:55 pm

I see that there are more questions than answers on listening skill. I myself have met a lot difficulties with Listening too. I try several ways to improve this skill but until now to me, it remains the weakest skill. Below are several methods I did try

-Hearing without attention by playing audio news almost day. it bores me sometimes.
-Listening with high attention with tape scrip. (Without reading scrip first, I can understand the general idea only. I just catch the details when i read the scrip). Sometimes I understand exactly every word in the sentence but i still cannot catch up with the idea of the speaker.
-Watching film with/without subtitle. With subtitle, it's so easy. However, without is so funny because with this method I seem to forget all the dialogues in the film and focus on actions on the screen only. Sometimes I try to listen, but almost details i get about the film are via eyes than ears.

Are there any effective methods you did try?
KuteSophia

Just listen again and again.

Postby luckylock » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:29 pm

I have ever read some skills of improving English ability of a book written by a Korean. I try it, and I feel his way is good. That book's name is "Not study, but learn".

1.Choose a English tape. Be careful! It cannot have any other language but English. And it's not too difficult to you.

2.Listen it again and again. Don't look up any words in dictionary. Don't care about understand or not. Just listen. Until you can "hear" every words or sounds.

3.Change another tape and repeat the ways above.

His methods have five steps. I mentioned above is one of them. The first step is just only to promote your listening ability. My process is second step now and I feel greater. I think you can try it.
luckylock

Postby Bambang » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:36 am

I have been trying to watch any English program on tv without looking at the subtitle. It was hard at firts, but my listening skills are getting better now.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby ahmedxzxz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:54 am

HI EVERYONE,,I THINK THAT LISTENING AND SPEAKING ARE IN ONE CIRCLE,,IF YOU SPEAK WELL(IMEAN IF YOUR PRONUNCIATION IS WELL)YOUR LISTENING SKILL WILL BE WELL,TOO.
ahmedxzxz
Silver Member

Re: Just listen again and again.

Postby BenWizard » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:05 am

luckylock wrote:I have ever read some skills of improving English ability of a book written by a Korean. I try it, and I feel his way is good. That book's name is "Not study, but learn".

1.Choose a English tape. Be careful! It cannot have any other language but English. And it's not too difficult to you.

2.Listen it again and again. Don't look up any words in dictionary. Don't care about understand or not. Just listen. Until you can "hear" every words or sounds.

3.Change another tape and repeat the ways above.

His methods have five steps. I mentioned above is one of them. The first step is just only to promote your listening ability. My process is second step now and I feel greater. I think you can try it.

My native language is Spanish and I want to improve my English language skills. Could you tell me or any body where I can get that book "Not study, but learn"?. I couldn't find it in Amazon.com. Thanks a lot friends.
BenWizard

Postby vinhtruong » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:35 pm

Listenning skill is really difficile. Although I listen English everyday, but my skill isn't improve. I think my methodology isn't right. Therefor it's so great if you show me the best way to improve listenning skill.
vinhtruong

Re: Tips for Listening

Postby denvinbo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:35 am

I listen to English news 2 hours a day...so my listening skill is better now.... :D :D :D but not only listening to the news, but also listening to English lesson or a lesson in magazines................
Hey! I'm stuck! Get me out!

PIETY-The stories of parents and children
denvinbo
Rough Diamond Member

Postby lovecindy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:04 am

:) Hello, everyone. I'm from China. And I'm an English learner.
I've kept listening news of CNN or AP for nearly half a year, about an hour per day.
:?: But I find that I'm still not very good at some accents or dialects, as well as some connected speeches. And I'm not familiar with the cultures of both UK or USA.
Get busy living or get busy dying.
lovecindy

Postby forum » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:19 am

Yes, learning the culture is very important!

I have seen some students who can speak English well, but because they don't know the culture, they do not know WHAT to talk ABOUT!

One great way to learn culture is reading online newspapers. Don't just read the news articles, but also read the opinion articles (these days many online newspapers have blogs and other opinion based articles).

I also write about culture at my site: http://askjohn.seesaa.net/
John
Free English Lessons: http://www.askjohnenglish.com/
forum
Silver Member

Postby emilykorea » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:59 pm

thanks for sharing..:)
emilykorea
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Help Each Other with English