EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

British VS American English which is better?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, Dixie, EC

British VS American English which is better?

Postby SilverFish » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:00 am

Sometimes,I wonder why most people think American English is better. Because the original English speakers are the British.
SilverFish

Postby Dixie » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:27 am

Better, in what sense? I don't know why someone would say that a dialect is better than another.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

I JUST WANT TO KNOW ABOUT...

Postby SilverFish » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:33 pm

hello i'm silverfish who uploaded this question. I got your point but my point is not only pronounce but also the structure of English. Both are quiet different style of English. So I just want to know about which English is better to understand, write, read and talk. Perhaps you'll agree both( American and British) are quiet different.
Image'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'fish of the day'.
--Unknown
SilverFish

Postby Danyet » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:57 pm

There is not enough difference between the way Americans and English talk to even say that they are speaking different "dialects". It is the same language with a regional accent. Just the same as Australian or New Zealand or South Africans speak.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Tora » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:17 pm

I like very much american slang words, I get to know many new ones through the movies and songs, modern american classics, love the accent.
At our english classes we used to watch different travelling programes and I understood that british accent sounds very natural for us who learn eglish, american accent is really lovely, the "r" sound drives me mad :P but assie accent is really comlicated to understand!! :(

what for to define which one is better - all of them are...
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Danyet » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:03 am

Tora wrote:I like very much american slang words, I get to know many new ones through the movies and songs, modern american classics, love the accent.
At our english classes we used to watch different travelling programes and I understood that british accent sounds very natural for us who learn eglish, american accent is really lovely, the "r" sound drives me mad :P but assie accent is really comlicated to understand!! :(

what for to define which one is better - all of them are...
The Aussie accent only complicated to understand because Aussies have such poor diction. They typically slur their words. But well spoken Aussies should not be any harder to understand than well spoken Yanks or well spoken Englishmen.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Tora » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:54 pm

it's just my biassed point of view. It was a program about risky activities like feeding the sharks near Tazmania or jumping from the several meters height to an abyss being roped to a platform... he was very excited afterwards but it was almost impossible to define what he´s talking about :wink:
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Vega » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:52 am

:roll: I don't hear any difference between BrEng and AmEng when I'm trying understand it by watching BBC and CNN. If possible, can anybody tell what my writings looks like more, BrEn or AmEn? Or is the difference only in pronunciation?

According to my grammar book, BrEng says, for example: Have you had a dinner? AmEng says: Did you have a dinner?
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Danyet » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:26 pm

Xkalibur wrote:
According to my grammar book, BrEng says, for example: Have you had a dinner? AmEng says: Did you have a dinner?
YOur book is wrong. You will hear both ways spoken everywhere. Most of the difference is in the overall accent, particularly the "r"s "a"s, and some minor spelling differences.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Elba » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:54 pm

I don´t want to say the world "correct", then I musto to say that I´m acording with Danyet opinions.
I began study english in a british school at México City. For different reazons I left the school, two years later I began again in an American english school. Not much differences: pronunciation in some final letters of a world, some idioms. But generally when I see an american movie or an english movie I understand perfect (well I understand :oops: ).
The gramatical structure is the same, is like spanosh at Méxic, Spain, or argentina. The differences are pronunciation and idios. Understand please, the origin is the same and changed a little the development, acording to cultural, economic, social and sometimes politic situation.
The language change with the time, for better or worst but change. I think we couldn´t say "this is better than" the objetive, the real objetive is the "comunication".
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Next

Return to General Discussion