resumption of whale hunting

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

resumption of whale hunting

Post by Tora »

taking an advantage of our right to discuss here again...

Yesterday while watching the TV I was shocked by growing danger to whales. Frankly speaking I was absolutely sure that no whales are hurt nowadays, the years of Moby Dick are already in the past and there is no reason to start discussing it, BUT Japan is still in process of whale hunting claiming it as a scientific research, "they eat whales as dogs are eaten in Korea"

A conference has started yesterday and the Japanese representatives are going to suggest the legalisation of this slaughter, as I was informed through the news yesterday.

as far as I'm concerend I don't feel the nesseccity of it but do feel an increasing danger to our friends animals. we're facing a problem, don't we?
babara
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by babara »

Our world so much changes to be able to do something strange nowadays and seems we will can't stop in some matter 'cause much growing of science,industry,technology or others. Each person have a different thinking for their own living or advantage ..we can't stop but might be able to avoid?
wllsp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: resumption of whale hunting

Post by wllsp »

Tora wrote: "they eat whales as dogs are eaten in Korea"
That is very interesting to me. Have you been to Japan? Is it really possible to buy food cooked of whales there?
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

wllsp wrote:
That is very interesting to me. Have you been to Japan? Is it really possible to buy food cooked of whales there?
this was quoted from the media, I guess the source is both available in moscow and in saint perersburg by the way... I have never been to Japan and hopefully haven't seen the whale being cooked but it was shown on tv - the proceudre of whale's slaughter and it's preparing afterwards... I was really shocked :?
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

Personally, I’m against killing whales. But it’s a complicated issue…
In Norway, for example, they also hunt whales. But then about a half of Norway’s territory is mountains; they don’t have that much farming lands. And people have to eat something…
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Thank you, Hardi, for your link. I have just found time to read up to the end.

as for Norway, yeah, they are doing it (as far as I knew via Hardi's article also)
Japan's scientific whaling program has remained controversial, with anti-whaling groups maintaining that the killing of whales is unnecessary for scientific purposes and that the real reason for the scientific kills is to provide whale meat for Japanese restaurants and supermarkets
the history has proved the humanity that senseless slaughter of any kind of animals can cause it's disappearance from the Mother nature, an acquaintance of mine living on Biscay beach used to tell me that many years ago there were many whales there and the sailors were hunting and hunting until no any whale was left. This sophisticated and intelligent world - as I believed previously - is wise enough to take care of spices which are in danger. Probably this is just a matter of mentality - people are not to eat whales, hippopotamuses, elephants, dogs, kangaroos as those creatures are not for food! Many spices are already forgotten due to the insatiable human hunger for food. we are more than just animals, we must think of the consequences.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Don't forgot pollution also. The ocean seems so big, but I have heard, that if u sail around of the world, then u meet garbage all the time everywhere also on middle of ocean far away from any civilisation..

I better don't mention tora's favorite, 3 eyed fish :lol:
wllsp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by wllsp »

Cypress wrote:But then about a half of Norway’s territory is mountains; they don’t have that much farming lands. And people have to eat something…
It seems that Japan must have the same reason to go on whaling. There are lots of people and its territory is not that big.

On the other hand. Norway produces lots of oil and other things and it seems to be the richest country in the world or at least one of them. It may have needed to kill whales for food back in history but right now I doubt that it is still necessary. Even though its mountains cover the same territory.

Hey, do we have here somebody from Norway or Japan? If so, could you please give us your opinion on this complicated issue?
wllsp
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by wllsp »

Tora wrote:
wllsp wrote:
this was quoted from the media, I guess the source is both available in moscow and in saint perersburg by the way...
Just wanted someone with first-hand experience.
Cypress
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Cypress »

wllsp wrote:
On the other hand. Norway produces lots of oil and other things and it seems to be the richest country in the world or at least one of them. It may have needed to kill whales for food back in history but right now I doubt that it is still necessary. Even though its mountains cover the same territory.
I agree. Their GDP per capita is second in the world; so they obviously can afford importing food. There are activist movements going on in the country, but still I don’t think they are going to give up whale hunting any soon :(
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Your wife needs to be spanked, and then you should teach her to reload all your cartridges and force her to sit in front of the TV in the evenings, making bullets for your deer hunting rifle.
But seriously, have you taken your wife on a hunt? By the time you and her find the deer she will be glad for you to shoot it.

It took some time, but I finally was able to teach my wife how to shoot. Now she likes to shoot 38 calibur single-action Ruger Black Hawk revolver.
Player

Post by Player »

Danyet, you need to be spanked.
danyet wrote:By the time you and her find the deer...
By the time you and she find the deer...

(as in: By the time she finds the deer...)