EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

ASIAN OR WESTERN

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

asians and westerns

Postby caronte » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:58 am

I read for the first time this subject and I admit having been estonished. I'm an italian man and so western but latin. I believe you have to contextualize your wiews,each country have his own culture, habits,history and economic situation, but we must remember something. In facts we,westerns,at present time,we carry values like democracy,brotherhood,mdernity and solidarity,but what kind of people we were until 40 years ago?
For centuries we exploited the rest of the world,imperialism and colonialism are our creatures.
Lennye please study some history instead eating pop corn, the US bombed Viet Nam for many years,burning forests with napalm,butching children and raping women. And now your president, ex alcoholist and christian fondamentalist,wants to export democracy....
Cicero, a old latin philosopher once said "Quam parva mens regit potentia mundi",at present I perceive he was right. We,western,we must make our apologies to these people and help them with solidarity,not charity wich is a subtle form of racism.God bless you
Caronte
caronte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:39 pm
Location: italy

Re: asians and westerns

Postby MissLT » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:18 am

caronte wrote:Lennye please study some history instead eating pop corn, the US bombed Viet Nam for many years,burning forests with napalm,butching children and raping women. And now your president, ex alcoholist and christian fondamentalist,wants to export democracy....

And what does it have to do with this topic? :?
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

asian and western

Postby caronte » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:24 pm

Lennye I believe that my last message, at the opposite, is closely involved to this topic, particularly when you affirme that vietnameses should blame their goverments of having devastate their country.
Take in mind,please,that, before US,France had generously accomplied this task.
Anyway I think americans can't give life lessons,as they believe. We saw the last half century as US had political and economical supremacy and consequentely the distasters occurred.
You talk,then,about welfare,but wich welfare? yours?
A nation very rich with 40 millions of poors,without basic healthcare.The answer is,in my opinion,that america monetizes all,even sentiments.But values like dignity,solidarity,real friendship are economical worthless and no money can buy them, is for this that almost all countries in the world don't respect America.
Morevore you are satisfied to have a mediocre president exporting democracy.....George can't forget
what he has never known.
God bless america
Caronte
caronte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:39 pm
Location: italy

Postby MissLT » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:42 pm

caronte wrote:Lennye I believe that my last message, at the opposite, is closely involved to this topic, particularly when you affirme that vietnameses should blame their goverments of having devastate their country.
Take in mind,please,that, before US,France had generously accomplied this task.

Before the U.S we WERE COLONIZED by French. There was no South or North Vietnamese governments. We were just a part of Indo-China or whatever the name the French called us. This is why my grandpa joined the Viet Minh to fight with the French, but not the Viet Cong. How could you compare apples and oranges? :?

caronte wrote:Anyway I think americans can't give life lessons,as they believe. We saw the last half century as US had political and economical supremacy and consequentely the distasters occurred.

And? Does it mean Vietnamese can blame them for their poverty? The guy in this original poster's topic is a jerk due to his stereotype. Trust me, this kinda people is everywhere in EVERY culture. I dare to use the absolute word here. The bottom line is, why do people have stereotypes? Stereotypes happen because there's a small percentage of people of certain groups do certain things, which give people a sense of how the whole culture is.

I am a Vietnamese girl; I would be offended if someone comes to my face and tells me I'm a gold digger, because there are some Vietnamese girls who are like that. However, I'm not gonna be irritated by that person ONLY. I will take a look why that person said it. Racism, stereotype, prejudice, or we do indeed have our own problems? You can't just hate someone for saying something without taking a look why.


caronte wrote:You talk,then,about welfare,but wich welfare? yours?
A nation very rich with 40 millions of poors,without basic healthcare.The answer is,in my opinion,that america monetizes all,even sentiments.But values like dignity,solidarity,real friendship are economical worthless and no money can buy them, is for this that almost all countries in the world don't respect America.

Let me just tell one one thing and you google it on the net to check, okay. Poor Americans are nowhere near poor Vietnamese. No one really understands what poverty means if they haven't lived in a Third World country. I'm sure you don't know how poor could a poor person be in a Third World country.

caronte wrote: Morevore you are satisfied to have a mediocre president exporting democracy.....George can't forget
what he has never known.
God bless america
Caronte

I don't know where the heck you've got this from my posts, but I don't have time to care.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby linhto » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:25 am

To Lenny Tran
I think you are unjustice.You don't live in Vietnam so you can know how has we tried to improve citizen's lives, to improve our policy ... Ưe all know everything you said but it's not all about Viet Nam .Somebody is poor because of much reason.It's so hard for us to find out the main problem.So why don't you help them without complaining.
User avatar
linhto
Silver Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 6:50 am
Location: viet nam

Postby Hardi » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:29 am

Well Lennye, Now when I know it would offense you. It would be logical, that I would like to tell you that u are a gold digger, but somehow I don't.. Maybe it's because I know, that actually u dig Caucasian men there not gold.. So I better tell you, that you are a Caucasian men digger... and when I looking all these silver rings and stuff u wear, then I'm sure u dig also silver beside of Caucasian men.. Maybe u even own a silver mine there? I only hope u don't dig in graveyard :twisted:
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: European Union
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:09 pm

linhto wrote:To Lenny Tran
I think you are unjustice.You don't live in Vietnam so you can know how has we tried to improve citizen's lives, to improve our policy ... Ưe all know everything you said but it's not all about Viet Nam .Somebody is poor because of much reason.It's so hard for us to find out the main problem.So why don't you help them without complaining.

Then why don't you try to sit down and dissect the problems? How could you find out something if you don't bother to analyze why things happened? You think the "yeah, man, we have a problem!" is enough? And since you're not complaining, you must be doing something to help. Tell me, what have you done so far for Vietnam?
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 pm

Hardi wrote:Well Lennye, Now when I know it would offense you. It would be logical, that I would like to tell you that u are a gold digger, but somehow I don't.. Maybe it's because I know, that actually u dig Caucasian men there not gold.. So I better tell you, that you are a Caucasian men digger... and when I looking all these silver rings and stuff u wear, then I'm sure u dig also silver beside of Caucasian men.. Maybe u even own a silver mine there? I only hope u don't dig in graveyard :twisted:

I do love other men beside Caucasian. Did you see the Asian guy I have a crush on? Well, I guess you haven't then. He's a yummy pie to me. And silver rings digger? :lol:
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Hardi » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:52 pm

No I haven't seen that guy, but that's not because I haven't had spectacles. It's because I just haven't seen him.. though he's surely a shorty one.. and then I really would need spectacles to see him.. but what I was actually want to say you, is that he need to visit the doctor to check his eyes.. to be saved.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: European Union
Status: Other

asian and western

Postby caronte » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:44 pm

I believe to have been misunderstood , maybe depends on my poor english.Anyway if I offended someone I beg sincerely your pardon.But issues remain unsolved.
In my opinion is too easy generalise problems on focusing about relationships between single persons.
History is generated by history and we have the deep moral obligation in looking for true.
The actual vietnamese situation is the outcome of several factors,some of them are old,other are more recently, as we said in other messages,and regarding frenc and american wars. But let me point out two topics:
- first, the vietnamese goverment did a lot of mystakes but no one moved a finger to help it,on the contrary;
-second,this country in past years developed in a impressive manner,for example,the best stock exchange in the world (in terms of performance)was the vietnamese one in 2006.
These are not stereotypes but facts.But we,westerns,we have too much arrogance for admitting that, and too linked in an historical wiew based only on economic successful. I work into financial markets and I learned there the depth meaningful of being pitiless.
Anyway,even not requested,I confirm my modest evaluation on George W. Bush: he's unfit to lead US and, friendly speaking,is a little bit stupid too.
Finally, the answer about welfare confirms my opinion: it is incredible that the richest world's country could have 40 millions of poors at a lot of problems with basic healtcare,my God we are in America, not in dustbin country like Viet Nam.
God bless you
caronte
caronte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:39 pm
Location: italy

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests