EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Attention!!! New book to discuss - Sense and Sesibility

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Attention!!! New book to discuss - Sense and Sesibility

Postby LadyMacbeth » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:29 am

Attnetion! Attention!
A new book to discuss - "Sense and Sensibility' by Jane Austin. LEVEL - intermediate (what a stunning progress since my beginners and elemetary readers) :) :) :)
Well... by this momemnt I haven't read even a page of this book. Who can tell to/write to me bit more about it is really welcomed:)

Is it a good book or rather boring. What do you think about heroes? Does anyone there tear off someone's elses fingernails to force him to talk?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

some little corrections,

Postby LadyMacbeth » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:33 am

1. ...beginner and elementary readers...
2....someone else's fingernails to force him/her to talk?...
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Postby JainaSolo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:20 pm

Sense and sensibility was the first book by Jane Austen I ever read, I remember that I liked it very much (because I hadn't read Pride & prejudice yet :D ), but to say the truth I don't remember much about it, I read it more than one year ago :roll: Sorry :D
JainaSolo
Silver Member

Postby illusion » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:35 am

To be honest I have this book in my library but never really wanted to read it so it's just there, waiting for its 5 minutes haha but I did see the movie when I was younger and I must say I enjoyed it. So how is the book?
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

ok.

Postby LadyMacbeth » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:40 pm

I am back. Well... I will try to read a bit soon. So far I have managed to go through...the introduction section.

Well...and as deals my writing here - I definitely think I should be more careful. I still make so many language erros :(((
It is awful!!!:( Apart from grammar, word errors and many other errors I make hundred of typing errors, absent-minded errors...I can see only my errors here and there...:(((:(((
And they all look sooooooooo horribe when I read my messages here and there for the second time (if I read them at all)....they look like ghosts!:(((

PS. But what I also have to confess here is I am really dissapointed noone here (EC) seems to read contemporary bestsellers! :( Noone added any post to my plot about Nick Hornby's "How to be good?" WHY?
:(
Read me soon.

Regards,
LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:40 pm

illusion wrote:To be honest I have this book in my library but never really wanted to read it so it's just there, waiting for its 5 minutes

Same here. I started reading it a long time ago, but soon got bored and left it... And there it is, on one of my shelves, among other novels, waiting for me and laughing at me for being so ignorant.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

hello:)

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:47 am

Hello today:)

Don't worry Dixie. I also feel I should read WHOLE book in full version cause I realise my intermediate level reader misses many facts/details.

Well...till now I have managed to read first chapter.
Rather sad. A poor lady with three daughters had to move out from a house where a rich lady with one son came. Very sad story. But the lady with three daughters ( a widow what worse) got another house so she still have a roof above her head at the end of first chapter... their 3 daughters too. We will see what will be on...

Hmmm... besides the oldest daughter of the widow seems to be in love with a brother of the rich lady who occupied the house. Or rather he seems to like her much... but the rich lady will do everything to prevent this blind love of her brother as far as I know life... but will she succeed or rather blind love will take prevail?

Next chapters will show it... of course the bad, rich lady would like to see her brother marrying someone richer than a poor widow's daughter... what a typically English mess...I am afraid ...:(((

LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

one little correction...

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:55 am

... she still has a roof above her head...

to be continued...
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

S&S entry 2

Postby LadyMacbeth » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:37 pm

Well... I have to admit I haven't done too big progress since yesterday :(. But somehow I still wonder how is it that from the sum 3000 pounds that had been suppossed to be distributed among three daughters of impoverished widow who was forced to move out finally each of them was promised to receive from their own rich step-brother....50 pounds ...from time to time.
His wife was so scared they could marry someone rich and she (her son) would lose 3000 pounds...

So the more I am glad that the four ladies seem to have better companionship at the beginning of chapter 2 in their new, modest house... well... pity they had to sell all carriages and must walk in mud after rain but at least noone humilates or offends them...

Read me soon :)
LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

the end of chapter 3

Postby LadyMacbeth » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:37 pm

Hello :)

Well... I have just finished chapter number 3. Hmmm... I feel a bit weird. This book is really strange. Marianne went to see a house that belonged neither to her nor to her admirer. Jeez... she is still only 16! At this book I cannot "catch" who lives where. I mean - these all mansions ...I still make errors... Barton Park, Barton Cottage... OMG!
And this 35-old Colonel Brandon ... is he going to seduce 16-years old Marianne? :( OMG ...I do think Pride and Prejudice was really more senseful. The house belonged to Darcy and girls were more adult.

Besides I don't know why Miss Wiliams has different surname than her father (Brandon)? But probably is too soon to know it... well... one worthy sentence is that of 16 years old Marianne that 35 years old Barton should marry a nurse in his age. It was really funny.
The rest is very complicated... in my intermediate reader I also cannot "count" Mrs Middleton's children. In one place she is said to have 4 childen in another 3 kids are alive ... maybe not a big difference but still...besides...my reader has 3 CD's attached to it. You can hear what you read and pronounce words the correct way :)
GRRRRRRRRRREAT!:)

Read me soon.

LM
LadyMacbeth
Rough Diamond Member

Next

Return to Books & Authors