EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Children should take both parents' surnames.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Children should take both parents' surnames.

Postby TalkingPoint » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:08 pm

It would be a good idea for children to take the surnames of both their parents.

Do you agree?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby Dixie » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:30 pm

That happens in some countries already, like Spain.

I have both my parents' surnames. My first surname is my father's, my second surname's my mother's. What I don't agree with is the fact that at first the first surname always had to be the father's. Fortunately, this has changed and now you can have your mother's surname as your first.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby mamuta » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50 am

I agree, no problem for me, but I notice some difficulties in the future. How should we name our grandchilden? :?
mamuta
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:55 pm

Dixie wrote:That happens in some countries already, like Spain.

I have both my parents' surnames. My first surname is my father's, my second surname's my mother's. What I don't agree with is the fact that at first the first surname always had to be the father's. Fortunately, this has changed and now you can have your mother's surname as your first.

So your mom's is your middle name then? Or are those last names joined? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:52 pm

LennyeTran wrote:So your mom's is your middle name then? Or are those last names joined? :?

In my country, women do not take their husband's surname when they get married. That's why I chuckled when you called my mom "Miss Carceller" :wink: That's my father's name. My mother's last name is Guzman. So my surnames are Carceller Guzman.
Last edited by Dixie on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixie

Postby Dixie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:53 pm

mamuta wrote:I agree, no problem for me, but I notice some difficulties in the future. How should we name our grandchilden? :?

Children take their parents' first surnames. Their children, then, do the same. The second surname is going to be lost on the way.
Dixie

Postby MissLT » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:50 pm

Dixie wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:So your mom's is your middle name then? Or are those last names joined? :?

In my country, women do not take their husband's surname when they get married. That's why I chuckled when you called my mom "Miss Carceller" :wink: That's my father's name. My mother's last name is Guzman. So my surnames are Carceller Guzman.

:lol: No wonder. I thought I forgot to call her Mrs. instead. So, you have a middle name also right? And you use the last-middle-first name pattern?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:26 pm

LennyeTran wrote: :lol: No wonder. I thought I forgot to call her Mrs. instead. So, you have a middle name also right? And you use the last-middle-first name pattern?

I don't have a middle name. Well, there was a time when it was a tradition to name girls Maria plus the name chosen. I was one of those unfortunate kind. So I have two names (Maria Mercè) but I only use that in bureaucratic situations.

What do you mean by "the last-middle-first name pattern"?
Dixie

Postby mamuta » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:04 am

Dixie wrote:...My first surname is my father's, my second surname's my mother's...this has changed and now you can have your mother's surname as your first...Children take their parents' first surnames...

Hm, interesting. Now I see some problems. For example: you and your brother - is it possible you have different first surname if your parents wanted to? And imagine parents with two sons: they could have different first surnames so their children would have totally various surnames :? A bit complicated, isn't it? And what about family tradition?
mamuta
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:23 am

mamuta wrote:Hm, interesting. Now I see some problems. For example: you and your brother - is it possible you have different first surname if your parents wanted to? And imagine parents with two sons: they could have different first surnames so their children would have totally various surnames :? A bit complicated, isn't it? And what about family tradition?

No, that's not possible. Parents can decide the order of the surnames, but I don't think it's allowed for the children to have the surnames in different order. That would be a mess!
Dixie

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion