EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

30 killed on Virginia Tech campus

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Another person shot at NASA

Postby Shazzam » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:37 pm

samck wrote:It is tragedy again . As we know it isn’t the first time about campus killing in the U.S.A So I am not in shock ,I believe it will be not the last tragedy. Because It is so easy to get arms for the citizens.

I believe this is not the only reason why there are school shootings in the States. Media and violent video games play a huge part also.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: Another person shot at NASA

Postby MissLT » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:38 pm

Shazzam wrote:Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????

Where? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:52 pm

Shazzam wrote:Well there is another shooting someone was shot at NASA. What the????

I didn't hear anything. What happened?
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Yen » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:54 pm

Last month, my class had conference about "bowling of columbine", we was told about the Columbine High School masscare in 1999. Two teenage students killed 12 students and teacher. I couldn't believe this situation is happen again. How scary it is.
You can find more information in http://www.youtube.com

I agree with Lennye Tran."Media and violent video games play a huge part also" It's not because in the US we can buy the gun. In Canada, we can buy guns easier than in the US but there don't have any crimes.

Moreover, the South Koreans are worrying they might singled out for discrimination in the US as a result of the shooting because in the News, they are always emphasize the killer is Asian or he is Korean while if that killer is white, they avoid to say his nationality.... Do you notice that??

[/url]
Yen
Silver Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:08 pm

Yen wrote:Moreover, the South Koreans are worrying they might singled out for discrimination in the US as a result of the shooting because in the News, they are always emphasize the killer is Asian or he is Korean while if that killer is white, they avoid to say his nationality.... Do you notice that??

The reason why I didn't go in this whole race thing because I think it was unnecessary. From what you said, if the gunman was a white person, they wouldn't say which ethnicity he really was. I think you forgot one thing that Caucasians have been in the US for many generations. Most of them are, as I usually joke around, mutts. They refer themselves as Caucasian or White. They don't say, "Hey, I'm Italian-Polish-English-Spanish." (my ex was). Same with African-Americans. Asians, on the other hand, are quite different. This guy, obviously, was only 1.5 generation. He was still Korean although he'd been in the States most of his life. Therefore, I don't see anything wrong when they called him Korean.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:15 pm

Yen wrote:Moreover, the South Koreans are worrying they might singled out for discrimination in the US

Some Korean communities even went further to apologize for what this guy did. Maybe you have a different perception of this apology than I, but I was quite irritated when they did it. I didn't take it as a genuine gesture. Instead it seemed racist to me. I can understand why the family had to apologize. He was a part of his family after all. And they was indirectly responsible for what he did as a rule of what family means. Other Koreans, on the other hand, have done nothing. Why did they feel the need to apologize for? Just because he was Korean? Therefore, they indirectly singled him out as a a member of their community, and not an individual of the States. Then they're afraid people would take revenge on them because they're Koreans who did not kill those students. Now, who is the racist one, tell me please?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:43 pm

Dixie wrote:

It was posted on msn news here over the weekend I think it happened on Friday; you should be able to find something out about it on the net. I couldn't believe it. :roll:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:34 pm

Shazzam wrote:
Dixie wrote:

It was posted on msn news here over the weekend I think it happened on Friday; you should be able to find something out about it on the net. I couldn't believe it. :roll:

I can't find it. :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:14 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote:
Dixie wrote:

I can't find it. :?

http://news.google.com.au/news?q=Shooti ... s&ct=title

Try this link Lenny
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Current News