EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Fantasy novels, their artwork and synopsis

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Fantasy novels, their artwork and synopsis

Postby MarkJH » Mon May 28, 2007 7:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated.

MarkJH

Postby mamuta » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi, and congratulations! I'm a fan of fantasy and science - fiction novels. I prefer very simple covers: not so many colours, not so many symbols. Synopsis is important, I like to know something about author. In my opinion, you should decide first who is your TARGET: your potential reader and consequently choose the proper cover and additional information.
Best wishes :)
mamuta
Gold Member

Thanks!

Postby MarkJH » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I agree that the synopsis is the most important thing. The cover can encourage someone to pick up a book for a closer look, but it's really the synopsis that counts. If you get a chance I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on my synopsis (you can find it on Amazon).

Thanks again!
MarkJH

Postby mamuta » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:32 am

Firstly, as an author forgive me please telling anything without reading your novel. I've only read your book description and I'll try to express my impressions:
- I classyfied your book as a novel directed to young people (are they your planned TARGET?);
- your description is so accurate, that I started to consider is it worth reading: no questions to think, too many answers;
- you should mention something about the main mystic (?) creature - the White Wolf -to make him more mysterious.
I hope I've described all properly - I'm not a native speaker.
Best wishes :)
mamuta
Gold Member

Thank you

Postby MarkJH » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read it and give me your impressions. I appreciate it. It's difficult to capture the style and tone of a book in a short synopsis, but hopefully when people actually read it they will feel the story is worthwhile.

Thanks again :)
MarkJH

Postby MarkJH » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi,

I've posted an extract from my book at this link: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/markjohnhockl ... ywork.html

I would be very happy to hear your opinions on it.

MarkJH

Postby MarkJH » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:41 am

Just to let anyone know who may be interested that I've added another excerpt from my book The Magic Lands at this link: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/markjohnhockl ... ywork.html

As always, feedback would be very much appreciated.
MarkJH

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:45 am

Hi Mark, I'd love to read your book. Maybe I'll buy at Amazon.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby illusion » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:19 pm

congratulations :)) I so envy people who can write or do anything else which takes talent. I've always wanted to do something creative when I was a little girl I would try to draw, sing, paint and write but I felt the things I created were so amateur that I gave up and focused on admiring other talented people's work...
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MarkJH » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:44 pm

Dixie wrote:Hi Mark, I'd love to read your book. Maybe I'll buy at Amazon.

That would be great Dixie :) Let me know if you get it as I would be very interested to hear your opinions on the story. And please feel free to ask questions if any come to mind.
MarkJH

Next

Return to Books & Authors