EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

International Communication. Why English?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

English why

Postby cuongviet » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:56 pm

English should become the international communication languages. because the following reasons:
+ many powerful countries, which have great effects on the world's economy, are using english as their mother languague such as America, canada, british...So, people who can speak english is an great advantage.
+ English comprises of about 60% of impormation on the internet.( I am not sure about the percentage)
+ Human must choose a common language to be a intenational one. It makes our lives easier. people from diffrent countries speak the same language. We don't need to study many languages. We can save our time for other activities. :wink: :mrgreen:
cuongviet

Postby klistenes » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:31 pm

In my opinion ,instead of discussing whether english language is best or not , we should focus on the people's personalities , as we r people , whatever languages which we speak , if we have not honesty , the languages is not important
klistenes

Postby sak » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:09 am

klistenes wrote:In my opinion ,instead of discussing whether english language is best or not , we should focus on the people's personalities , as we r people , whatever languages which we speak , if we have not honesty , the languages is not important

I agree, there s no need to discuss whether english is the best or not.we use it but we can talk in other languages too. the comon language is only a shorter and easier way to communicate.I myself like to study many languages not only to communicate but to enjoy and study the variety of others.English is one of them
sak

Postby greencat » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:04 pm

I like to learn a lot of foreige languages, too. ^^
But, in my opinion, english is still the best choice for an international language. Why?
Firstly, it has been very popular, as others have said above.
Secondly, I suppose that English is a simple one to learn, in comparison with other language. It doesn't mean learning english is easy, but at least it is more easy than the others. (maybe this reason is a little objective)

In fact, it was not until I learned chinese did I realize english is the best language, and how I love it.
greencat
Silver Member

English is the best choice ?

Postby Lac » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:35 am

I dont think English is the best choice for international communications. So is any language in the world. It's no matter to this common language with better pronunciation or vocabulary than other one. The matter is how you find it convenient for a real commnunication. We dont forget that commnunication is only the part of a culture. And the mastering of this part does not mean you have a thorough knowledge of the culture, not to mention the communication itself has lots of different categories.
I dont think English would dominate overwhelmingly over other languages owing to its very almost worldwide commoness. Its universal role would change some day before another language (Chinese, French, Spanish ,who know ?) rising.
However,it would take a long time to see that change.
Nowadays we come across something like Singlish in Singarpore, and probaly in future there would be "Philish", "Chinish", ettc....
If so, English itself would be far more abundant than ever as in comparison to its now vocabulary of more than 1 million words.
To my humble thought, English is not quite easy compared with some of other languages. If Italy and Spains are relatively simple to learn, why one dont use them as the main international communication ?
It's evidenly that the commoness of the language is totally dependent upon reasons, even the shaping history of the language as well as other objective grouds.
The topic of English language is an immense one not limited within few pages. If we call Enlgish as the best commnunication, we equally recognize what lies behind the communication. All the roads must lead to Rome. Ok. Yet the most least tough road is almost always better than other ? The most important thing is what we obtain after finishing the "way of communication".
Lac
Silver Member

Postby keeper » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:51 am

English as the official language in international business because of some special reasons,about 300 years ago,Britain occupied many nations and constructed settlements around the world,and now,you may find out the Indian also speak English,and it's similarly in many other countries,English is the most widely used language in the world.But now,many foreigners come to china for studying Chinese,why?
because China is more and more important in international business and English is not "the only one"as it used to be,in Britain,person with ability of Chinese is in shortage(you may read some newspapers).
what meet the development of the world is needed.
keeper

English or Chinese ?

Postby Lac » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Right! Keeper
Chinese is a large country with a crowded population. And I always think it's unecessary for Chinese to learn another language. I am greatly admire Chinese who have much contributions to the human history in terms of philosophy, ancient cultures, art, religion and much more.
English, as we've just discussed, simply plays a communicative role throughout the globe, namely English itself impossibly being a highly wonderful construction. I dare not advance my subjective thoughts about the uniqueness of each worldwide language whose shaping process has been expanding in different ways.
Pictographic languages such as China, Japan, Korea, Cambodia..play their distinct roles in human history, and definitely unlikely compared with other onomatopoeia languages which equally have special characteristics.
In general, a powerful country regarding national defence, economy,population, good welfare may consider language as a bridge for associations and cooperations among countries. Perhaps it is the way to acquire the most common language for bridging distances among the nations.
Lac
Silver Member

Postby crystalfrogw » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 am

of course not.

most of english learners study english just because english is a global language nowadays.you can communicate with people of different countries in english and you can make more money if you can speak english at least english makes your life easier sometimes.

Once one day when english speaking countries don't have overwhelming economical power, english will not so popular anymore....

After all, it is only small portion of english learners who are really interested in the cultures of english speaking countries.

I believe all people hope their native languages are the international ones..............
crystalfrogw

Postby mostwanted » Thu May 03, 2007 2:51 pm

hi guys,
i'm an italian student...i'm doing a thesis about this situation:english as a global language.i'm doing a questionnary on line to analise this problem.
could you answer to it?this is the link:
http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/v ... hp?t=44600
thank you very much.
bye bye
mostwanted

Postby InLove » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:03 am

Maybe both English and Chinese.
InLove
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion