EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Reading in English is a waste of time!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:35 am

Do YOU agree?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby Vega » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:34 am

No, I don't.
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Hardi » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:55 am

Even though I would like to read from original sources, I couldn't learn all possible languages and since there isn't translated everything to every language, but there is a huge amount of interesting text in English. I can't say reading in English is waste of time.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Bambang » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:32 pm

It's absolutely not. By reading in English, we can enrich our English vocabulary. In addition to that, by reading in English we can get a lot of information because most information and knowledge are written in English . And most importantly, we can broaden our horizon by reading.

So,reading in English is a waste of time? No way !!!
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby wolfbike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:56 pm

Not on any account. Even so I live in Hannover, a German town, in many companies the office post have to write in English. Because of globalization many companies have contact to foreign countries and the only language all understand is English today.
Therefore in future you only will have a good chance with English and in my opinion the second language must be Spain.
wolfbike

Postby Bambang » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:40 pm

wolfbike wrote:...in my opinion the second language must be Spain.

First of all, my friend, I'd like to straighten your opinion on "the second language". The second language means a language which you are using in communication besides your mother tongue as the first language.

As an Indonesian, my first language (mother tongue) is Indonesian. My second language is English. However, one of my friends, his first language is Indonesian and his second language is Arabic. He doesn't speak any English.

My point is, it's up to the people to choose their second language. Some people even only speak one language. It means they don't have any second languages.

Next, my friend. You can not force anybody to choose Spanish as their second language. Don't use "must" dude !!!

Everybody is free to choose their secong languages. And most people usually learn a second language because they need it. I am learning English as my secong language because I need it. If somebody thinks that English is not important for him (of course I disagree with his idea), still it's up to him. We can not force him to learn English. To him, English is not important in his life. We can do nothing buddy. It's his life.

Lastly, supernaturally speaking, English will be being used as the second language at least for the next 2 centuries.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby wolfbike » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:26 am

Okay, „bambang“ ….you are right! Of course the second foreign language people can speak or learn is not their second language but their third language. Sorry, I thought I am here in an English forum and not in a mathematics lesson.
wolfbike

Postby Bambang » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:05 pm

wolfbike wrote:Okay, „bambang“ ….you are right! Of course the second foreign language people can speak or learn is not their second language but their third language. Sorry, I thought I am here in an English forum and not in a mathematics lesson.

My friend, I am so sorry for you. You didn't get my points. Re-analise my post first dude, then give your comment. Make sure you have understood what my points were.

If you feel hard to understand them, don't hesitate to consult me on them. OK dude. Happy analising !!!
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Hand up!

Postby satisfaction » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:15 am

Hi teacher,

Well, i think that reading english is not wasting time because; in my openion there are two kinds of reading.

First kind: That you are reading a news paper, silently, without moving your lips, or hearing your ears.

Second kind: That you are reading carefully and with well pronounciation, and at this kind, i find that i can improving my talking skill, find out new vocabularies, and feel interesting with my new language.

Thank you :)
satisfaction

Postby Bambang » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:41 pm

Fine dear satisfaction.

Keep reading !!!

Improve your English anywhere anytime possible !!!

Good luck.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion