EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Your personal library

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Melek » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:16 am

thats great,Rasheed,that u have read Koran so many times..Im gonna do it as soon as possible..people say that the more u read this holy book,the more views u find out...as for me,I dont like scientific books,but prefer to read the stories,novels about life,about everything...In my library there r plenty of books in Azeri,Russian,Turkish,English..but not soooo much as in yours...currently Im reading "pride & prejudice" by Jane Oustine..I found it very interesting..besides it all I like different quotes by different authors..
Melek
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:27 pm

Wow Rasheed you've got a really big library!! 3200 books are A LOT of books.

I don't have as many books as you, but I've got quite a few. Most of them are in English. The rest are in Catalan and there are some in Spanish. Most of my books are about teaching English but there are lots of fiction and essay works. I guess most of my books are classics (English and American literature). You would never guess my major! :lol:
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby imad » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi Rasheed.
:shock: :shock: :shock: 3200 books, wow a lot of books.
And you have read THE HOLY QUARAN 400 times!!!! That's great.
The most books in my personal library ( but not a sea like yours :) ) is science fiction and science, and of course Islamic books like Houmoum Da3ia by Mohamed Elgazali, I like this book.
imad
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:54 pm

:twisted: I have 7 books (Harry Potter series and Cujo) that I actually bought. I'm quite proud of them because I never thought I would own a book. I'm gonna have 8 books when the 7th Harry Potter coming out. I do own a lot of magazines, though. I have couple boxes of them.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Melek » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:46 am

Rasheed wrote:
Anyway, I have some prohibited books, but I hide them.

Then don't say it in public..
Melek
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:22 am

Rasheed wrote:
Do you have any books of Ernest Hemingway?

By the way, when I wrote "Dixie wrote" I wondered what's if I write "Dixie said"???

I'll explain the Arabic meaning, it's a very interesting logical matter, but first I want to know your view.

Only 2 (for now): The Old Man and the Sea and For Whom the Bell Tolls. Why are you asking? Do you like Hemingway? ;)

The Arabic meaning of what? :D
Dixie

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:23 am

Rasheed wrote:But in Syria his books isn’t famous because he belong to “Ekhwan”.
Anyone belong to “Ekhwan” in Syria, he’ll hanged directly.

I don't know about the political situation in Syria, but, there are forbidden books? :shock:
Dixie

Postby InLove » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:45 pm

Any site provides e-book?
InLove
Gold Member

No forbidden books after the reformation.

Postby Bambang » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 am

Dixie wrote:
Rasheed wrote:But in Syria his books isn’t famous because he belong to “Ekhwan”.
Anyone belong to “Ekhwan” in Syria, he’ll hanged directly.

I don't know about the political situation in Syria, but, there are forbidden books? :shock:

In Indonesia, there were several books prohibited to read before 1997. After the old regime fell down in 1997, everything is allowed here now.

People can say anything about the government. Criticism can be found everywhere, such as tv, radios, papers, magazines, and other media. Political, economical and social demonstrations are common things nowadays. They say no day without protest. It's something like euphoria. But it's okay. Democratic era, they say. Some protests are positive and constructive but some are baseless.

Lots of new organizations have been established. The forbidden organizations in the past re-appeared to the surface. Anybody could write anything they want.
No forbidden books anymore.

It's been 10 years now after the reformation era. Our country is trying to move forward as hard as we can. We are very proud because we could conduct the first general election peacefully in which the president was elected directly by all people. So, our president, Mr Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is our first president chosen by Indonesian people. Before the reformation era, our president was elected by the elite (parliament and congress men).

Next election, uncle Bambang might run for the neighborhood chief election.
Ha ha ha ha ha…
I’ve no idea who will support me.
Maybe we can start it from EC members.
Ha ha ha…
Support me, a potential candidate to lead my neighborhood !!!
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Vega » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:04 pm

In my own library there are only one shelf of technical books. I read them because I am going to be an engineer. But my uncle has a pretty good library, about one room all of books. He reads a lot.

Rasheed wrote:Do you have any books of Ernest Hemingway?

I don't have his books, but my sister has. And today is Hemingway's birthday. I saw it on a TV program this morning...And as far as I know. he liked airplanes..
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Next

Return to Books & Authors