EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What things are unpolite in your country?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

What things are unpolite in your country?

Postby marieqv » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:55 pm

In Costa Rica my country is unpolite to ask an adult it age or how much he or she earns... and what about your country manners?
marieqv

Postby Hardi » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:48 pm

urinate in public.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby marieqv » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:51 pm

here it is unpolite too but some people do it... :?
marieqv

Postby Dixie » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:08 am

To ask a lady's age (I don't know why! The other day someone asked me "You don't mind telling me your age, right? You're young".) I don't mind at all! :roll:
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby MissLT » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:23 pm

Dixie wrote:To ask a lady's age (I don't know why! The other day someone asked me "You don't mind telling me your age, right? You're young".) I don't mind at all! :roll:

I think the question has more of a negative connotation because of the word "old." Or some people, like some old women I and my cousins have met, can be quite prejudiced towards you based on your age. Last time, I told some woman my age and she looked at me with a question of "why are you with him? You're just a kid!" My cousin told me she was talking to a woman and the conversation went really well. Then it came to the age part. The woman showed her disappointment and excused herself when she knew my cousin's age. :roll:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby (((Edu))) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:21 pm

I have the thiefs.
(((Edu)))
Gold Member

Postby marieqv » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:33 pm

Well asking the age can be something unpolite for some people in different cultures, but for me it is not a huge problem... anybody can ask me how old I am!
marieqv

Postby mamuta » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:29 am

Dixie wrote:To ask a lady's age

In my country, too...and I agree with it :D I noticed one interesting detail between for example US and my country: it's unpolite to keep hands in pockets in public. It annoys me while President or Prime Ministre has a speech with right hand in the pocket of his trousers :roll:
mamuta
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:59 pm

mamuta wrote:
Dixie wrote:To ask a lady's age

In my country, too...and I agree with it :D I noticed one interesting detail between for example US and my country: it's unpolite to keep hands in pockets in public. It annoys me while President or Prime Ministre has a speech with right hand in the pocket of his trousers :roll:

The US's or yours? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Vega » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:48 pm

mamuta wrote:In my country, too...and I agree with it :D I noticed one interesting detail between for example US and my country: it's unpolite to keep hands in pockets in public. It annoys me while President or Prime Ministre has a speech with right hand in the pocket of his trousers :roll:

What if I walk with my hand in a trousers? Is it unpolite too? :roll:
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions