EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What things are unpolite in your country?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Danyet » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:07 pm

I think that in America nothing is impolite.
.....except maybe to park one's car on your neighbor's front lawn. :)
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Cutting the line is rude to me. Parking in someone's garage can get your car towed and that's it. But when people cut the line right in front of you, it'd be hard to tell them. They'd have million excuses for this selfish behavior. :roll:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby mamuta » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:55 am

LennyeTran wrote:The US's or yours? :?

Your President or British Prime Minister, of course.
And in all offical situations you shouldn't keep your hand in pockets, Xcalibur - no matter you are standing, sitting or walking...
mamuta
Gold Member

Postby Hardi » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:09 am

Yes it's not prepossessing to see if someone hold hand in pocket. Especially politicians and other such, who should at least try to like to people..

After all you may stumble and broke your nose when fall down while hold hands in pocket.. That is what happen to my nephew when he was little.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Bambang » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:00 pm

As Hardi said "urinate in public".

It's impolite too here.

But you'll get reward if you can make number eight shape by your urine or you can push your urine until 7 metres.

As Mamuta said "keep hands in pockets in public".

Yes, we consider it as an arrogant attitude.

It's getting horrible when your trousers pockets are torn or there are some big holes inside and you are not wearing underwear.

It's getting much more horrible when you are whistling and shaking or nodding your head.

Anyway, I'd like to say one thing impolite in our country. It's about how to talk to someone.

It's not polite to say "you" to older people.
We usually call their title firts then followed by their names.

For example :

We say " Uncle Xkalibur, may I go with uncle (Xkalibur)?" instead of saying "May I go with you?"

For those who studied abroad since High School, frequently they forget about this manner. They are contaminated by English manner. Of course it's no problem at all when we speak in English. But in Indonesian language it's impolite. That's why sometimes the people who have studied abroad for a long time and then they came back to Indonesia considered arrogant because they speak in Indonesian language with English manner.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Vega » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:00 pm

If I walk in suit I always put one hand in my pocket. Not because I am an arrogant I do it, I just feel myself confident.
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Hardi » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:40 pm

When I was kid I also had the habit to but hands into pocket. I liked to wear military riding-breeches of soviet army. :lol: There was a shop where could buy army suits. Those riding-breeches had good big pockets and they were made kinda strong... And after all I just looked so cool with them. Those are good and comfortable pants to wear. When u sleeping top of Russian oven, u can jump direct into boots and run out when needed. (of course every good russian soldier go to bed by wearing Kirsa boots, but if it happened that u take them off in some reason they must stay next to bed, so u can jump into them very quickly) :lol:

Well now I don't need to but hands into pocket to feel confident. I believe I could even walk in street by wearing pink suit and still be confident.. :lol:
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Proverb

Postby Bambang » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:25 am

Dear all.

As an old saying goes :

"Different pond different fish."

Different area different custom.

Impoliteness is subjective. It's so relative.

But one thing is objective and absolutely impolite that's :

Getting naked

on top of

The Statue of Liberty.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby marieqv » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:40 am

Wow!!! It has become very interesting reading all the unpolite things that all of you have wrote about your country. I was :o surprised :o when I read that in US is unpolite too keep your hands in your pockets... I dont think that in my country it is unpolite. What others things can all of you share about your country manners????
marieqv

Postby Vega » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:39 am

Hardi wrote:Well now I don't need to but hands into pocket to feel confident. I believe I could even walk in street by wearing pink suit and still be confident.. :lol:

You're a brave person. :lol:
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions