EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Fantasy novels, their artwork and synopsis

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby MarkJH » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:48 pm

illusion wrote:congratulations :)) I so envy people who can write or do anything else which takes talent. I've always wanted to do something creative when I was a little girl I would try to draw, sing, paint and write but I felt the things I created were so amateur that I gave up and focused on admiring other talented people's work...

Thanks! I'm sure there are plenty of things you do well. You seem like a nice person and that's the most important thing :)
MarkJH

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:08 pm

illusion wrote:congratulations :)) I so envy people who can write or do anything else which takes talent. I've always wanted to do something creative when I was a little girl I would try to draw, sing, paint and write but I felt the things I created were so amateur that I gave up and focused on admiring other talented people's work...

Me too. When I was small I used to write stories. But it never went further than that :roll:
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby illusion » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:35 am

MarkJH wrote:

Thanks! I'm sure there are plenty of things you do well. You seem like a nice person and that's the most important thing :)

yeah, I can eat pizza every day and never get bored of it :) I've found that out during my college when I was unable to cook myself a tasty meal ;)
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MarkJH » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:40 am

Just a quick update on my book for those whom have shown an interest. I've pasted in a review from Amazon US that I think gives a gives a good impression of what the book is really like.

'One might look at The Magic Lands and find the title a little generic, and the summary may be a little cliche, but if you were to pick it up you'll see that it is full of suprises. The story is quite a roller coaster and the plot can become utterly unpredictable. I should also mention, that this isn't little red riding hood. The story is dark, bringing up memories of another dark fantasy, Pan's Labrynth. Like Pan's Labrynth,and any good fable, there is an underlying message behind it all and it is a message definitely worth hearing'.
MarkJH

Postby Dixie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:40 am

Sounds really interesting, Mark.

And since we have the privilege of having a real writer here at EC, why don't you tell us a little bit more about yourself and your work?
Dixie

Postby MarkJH » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:50 am

Hi Dixie,

That's an invitation that could lead to me rambling on and on about my influences, my childhood living with pygmies in the Amazon rainforest and my slightly sureal adventures at boarding school in Outer Mongolia. But I think that would probably be very boring! Anyway, thanks for your kind words about the book. Seriously, I would be more than happy to tell you whatever you'd like to know. Although authors can be notoriously shy :)
MarkJH

Postby Tora » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:58 am

A live author in EC! It's a great honour I suppose. I've just read a synopsis on the Net about your book and customers' comments are praising I must say, congratulations!
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:10 pm

MarkJH wrote:Hi Dixie,

That's an invitation that could lead to me rambling on and on about my influences, my childhood living with pygmies in the Amazon rainforest and my slightly sureal adventures at boarding school in Outer Mongolia. But I think that would probably be very boring! Anyway, thanks for your kind words about the book. Seriously, I would be more than happy to tell you whatever you'd like to know. Although authors can be notoriously shy :)

How can you mix all those elements with the word boring? :D I would be very pleased to hear about your adventures! ;)
Dixie

Postby jrkp » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:27 pm

First at all, Congratulations!!! It's pretty cool to have a writer as a EC member...

To me, every topic you suggested in your first post are very important, specially when you write fantasy novels... Artwork and the title give you the first impression about the plot of the book. For example, when I saw the cover of your book, I mean, the white wolf with its threatening eyes, the two scare children in the middle of the forrest, plus the title of the book, I could suspect what was the plot about. Considering that I found that cover interesting, I read the synopsis, otherwise I hadn't done it.

As you said, the synopsis is maybe the most important thing to decide If you buy a book or not, because it allows you to confirm if your first impression is correct or not....
jrkp
Gold Member

Postby MarkJH » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:29 pm

Thanks jrkp :) Really pleased you liked the cover. What did you think of the synopsis? Did it keep your interest? And I would be very interested to hear what you think of the excerpts too.
MarkJH

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors