EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

lets discuss Russian literature

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Tora » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Cypress wrote:
mamuta wrote: I've read many classic Russian writers and poets: Lev Tolstoi, Alexy Tolstoi, Dostoievsky, Gorky, Pushkin, Mayakovsky etc., ...

Wow, I’m trully impressed. BTW, right now, I’m reading Aleksey Tolstoy’s book about Peter the Great. Very interesting and freighting too. What barbarian traditions and customs we used to have back then.

So many nice people advised me this book but my dog ate the first volume in her early childhood! :lol: :(
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Vega » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:34 pm

I read most of russian classic authors when I was at school. "Crime and Punishment" is a good book, I liked it. My favorite writer was F. Dostoevsky.
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby **Elena** » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:13 am

I meant that maybe if its possible you can post here something by Najeeb Mahfooz, Taha Hussain, Hanna Meena…etc and we will recieve opportunity to read and learn Arabic literature
**Elena**
Gold Member

Postby Tora » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:19 am

illusion wrote:"crime and Punishment focuses on the mental anguish and moral dilemmas of Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov, an impoverished St. Petersburg student who formulates and executes a plan to kill a hated, unscrupulous pawnbroker for her money, thereby solving his financial problems and at the same time, he argues, ridding the world of evil... " (wikipedia ;))

I also had to read it at school and if I had known such a nice description given in wikipedia I wouldn't have puzzled myself writing a composition that time :D

but on the whole a foreign guy I know was much interested in russian names given in that very novel - he found most of them quite specific and was curious how to make short form from "Rodion" and "Dunya" and all the others :wink:
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby **Elena** » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:49 am

For these who want to read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
http://www.classic-library.org.ua/tolst ... -karenina/

OR
War and Peace also by Leo Tolstoy

http://www.classic-library.org.ua/tolst ... and-peace/
**Elena**
Gold Member

Postby **Elena** » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:37 am

**Elena**
Gold Member

Postby illusion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Cypress wrote:
illusion wrote:The only book I read that was written by a Russian author was "Crime and Punishment" and I must say I did enjoy it a lot :)))

But what about Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita? Haven’t you read it?

ohh good GOD! of course I have!!!! It's one of my favourite books of all time!!!! How could I forgot that it was written by a Russian??? my bad... :( But the book is simply fantastic! I've not read it, I've swollen it completely the first time I read it...an absolutely wonderful reading ;)
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:59 pm

I can only remember 12 stools from Ilja Ilf and Jevgeni Petrov. I'm lazy about read books.. I'm sure have read some more books, but..
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby iamvitaly » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:58 pm

My favorite autor is Sholohov... I like also Ilf and Petrov, Pushkin's novels and many many others. But I dislike read lyrics. I think that on the whole it's boring...
iamvitaly
Silver Member

Postby Tora » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:47 pm

about new translations of "War and piece"

The Bromfield War and Peace, first published in Britain earlier this year, runs to just 886 pages, does away with the French and the philosophical digressions, and boasts a happy ending. In the words of the shorter version's Russian publisher, Ecco, it is "twice as short, four times as interesting ... more peace, less war".

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articl ... 89,00.html

I have read an original version at school, complete and unabridged as it's said. I suppose it is the only way we should meet the classical literature. I am talking this not because I have a special feeling towards Tolstoy as my compatriot, but as I feel that the publishers' and the "cutters'" names will be swallowed by the years as the outstanding writers will left for centuries ahead.
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors