EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

We are all basically selfish.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Bambang » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:10 pm

nightwish wrote:...so all i wanna say that, it all depends on us to be selfish or not :!:

Then choose not to be selfish my dear friend.
I hope and believe you will, won't you?
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby nightwish » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm not selfish dear! and thats for sure!
nightwish
Silver Member

Postby Bambang » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:26 am

Dear nightwish

I believe you are not.

Keep your unselfishness dear.

Psycologically speaking, it's not good for our mental health to be selfish.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby TearHere » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:33 am

Yes, we are basically selfish. It's human nature. I won't claim that i'm not "selfish" because I become one at times. To me, it's my relationships with people that makes me control my selfishness. It's one of the few things I really appreciate- how love can actually overcome selfishness.

I mean, okay one can be selfish, but to be the "recipient" of the selfishness of other people is just mean. So in as much as I don't want people to be selfish to me, I also refrain from being selfish. :wink:
TearHere
Gold Member

Postby Bambang » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:46 am

TearHere wrote:Yes, we are basically selfish. It's human nature.:wink:

Supernaturally speaking, you are selfish my dear.

So, all you have to do is to tear up any selfishness in your deepest heart.

Supernaturally speaking, you can do it honey.
You can.
Just do it, then you'll see the result.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

YUppy..Selfish

Postby baobao » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:19 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:We are all basically selfish.

selfish (adjective) = thinking mainly about one’s own personal pleasure or profit without thinking about other people

Yes,indeed.Our basic instinct is absolutely selfish.According to what roman proverb by plautus in which then used by Thomas Hobbes:"Homo Homini Lupus"(Man is a wolf to man).Most of people must own desire to have more of personal pleasure or profit in order to satisfy their ego.For example,War was happened because the selfish ego that want to have more and more.Note:Not everypeople Selfish..
baobao
Silver Member

Re: YUppy..Selfish

Postby Bambang » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:11 pm

baobao wrote:...Homo Homini Lupus"(Man is a wolf to man).

Disagree :!:
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

With respectfully

Postby baobao » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:27 am

Bambang i,m not claiming that everypeople are homo homini lupus.But our basical instinct is selfish isn't it?For example,corruption is one of example.Corruption is on behalf our self-interest,but the impact of it harm people or institution whom being corrupt.Our basical instinct is homo homini lupus which it can be change.If there are not(type homo homini lupus), is this world is so perfect by ignoring the fact type of homo homini lupus is exist.I'm sorry if i'm wrong,but it is my point of view.Thank you
baobao
Silver Member

Look at babies.

Postby Bambang » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:11 am

Dear Baobao,

All people are basically nice. Look at babies when they were just born. Cute huh :!:

Environment makes people become wolves.

Sorry my dear, your favorite philosophers were wrong.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Respectfully

Postby baobao » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:54 pm

yes..first of all,i agree to say that babies is innocent and cute but unfortunately the proverbs point to man not babies.Second that environment is created by people too,so i think is so hypocrite to blame environment.That i believe basically we are selfish which can be change.And this proverbs appropriate to this topic that people basically is selfish.And one more to judge that proverbs right or wrong is not wise.You have no right to say the philosophers wrong.If all people agree with you that it's wrong it will be completely remove from proverbs list.People have their own point of view,i respect everypeople point of view.I won't say it wrong because,i'm not so superior smart to judge it wrong.Thank You
baobao
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion