EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What Are Your Favorite Quotations?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby illusion » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:43 pm

"What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me; no, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so."

"Hamlet" by William Shakespeare
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:12 pm

illusion wrote:"What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me; no, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so."

I love a quotation from Hamlet. I will look for it.

EDIT: Can't find it! Anyway it's the one that starts with Gertrude saying something like: "Hamlet, you have thy father much offended"...
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Bambang » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:38 pm

Dixie wrote:
illusion wrote:"What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me; no, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so."

I love a quotation from Hamlet. I will look for it.

Once upon a time, there was a nice curious uncle. He wanted to know about Hamlet. Then he bought a DVD entitled "Hamlet". It contained 3 compact discs. Then he watched the movie. He almost cried in the middle of the movie. Not because of the story but .... he needed more than 4 hours to watch it through. Finally he just watched the first 20 minutes, then 20 minutes in the middle, and 10 minutes at the end.

After that he put the DVD under his cupboard in the hope that he would never find it.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:41 pm

bambang wrote:Once upon a time, there was a nice curious uncle. He wanted to know about Hamlet. Then he bought a DVD entitled "Hamlet". It contained 3 compact discs. Then he watched the movie. He almost cried in the middle of the movie. Not because of the story but .... he needed more than 4 hours to watch it through. Finally he just watched the first 20 minutes, then 20 minutes in the middle, and 10 minutes at the end.

After that he put the DVD under his cupboard in the hope that he would never find it.

OH my dog! Please read the book.
Dixie

Postby Dixie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Found it!

Act 3, Scene 4

HAMLET

Now, mother, what's the matter?

QUEEN GERTRUDE

Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended.

HAMLET

Mother, you have my father much offended.

QUEEN GERTRUDE

Come, come, you answer with an idle tongue.

HAMLET

Go, go, you question with a wicked tongue.

I just loved this part. Note that when Gertrude says "thy father" she means Claudius, and when Hamlet says "my father" he means his real father.

source
Dixie

Postby Bambang » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:49 pm

Dixie wrote:
bambang wrote:Once upon a time, there was a nice curious uncle. He wanted to know about Hamlet. Then he bought a DVD entitled "Hamlet". It contained 3 compact discs. Then he watched the movie. He almost cried in the middle of the movie. Not because of the story but .... he needed more than 4 hours to watch it through. Finally he just watched the first 20 minutes, then 20 minutes in the middle, and 10 minutes at the end.

OH my dog! Please read the book.

I don't even like dogs.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:52 pm

bambang wrote:
I don't even like dogs.

How about books? ;)
Dixie

Postby Bambang » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:31 am

Dixie wrote:
bambang wrote:
I don't even like dogs.

How about books? ;)

C'mon Dixie. I don't like books on dogs.

It's not Shakespeare's era any more.

It's Steven Spielberg's and Steven Hawking's.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby illusion » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Dixie wrote:Found it!

Act 3, Scene 4

HAMLET

Now, mother, what's the matter?

QUEEN GERTRUDE

Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended.

HAMLET

Mother, you have my father much offended.

QUEEN GERTRUDE

Come, come, you answer with an idle tongue.

HAMLET

Go, go, you question with a wicked tongue.

I just loved this part. Note that when Gertrude says "thy father" she means Claudius, and when Hamlet says "my father" he means his real father.

source

yeah, I know what you mean. I've read Hamlet more than 10 times. I nearly know it by heart in English. It's the best tragedy that Shakespeare has ever created...I am so in love with Hamlet, his intelligence and wicked sense of humour. He was a very sensitive character and I couldn't stop crying when I read the scene of his death... "the rest is silence"
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby illusion » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:35 pm

bambang wrote:
Dixie wrote:
bambang wrote:
I don't even like dogs.

How about books? ;)

C'mon Dixie. I don't like books on dogs.

It's not Shakespeare's era any more.

It's Steven Spielberg's and Steven Hawking's.

For Shame! Shakespeare's era was, is and will be forever because the truths contained in his works are immortal and despite the huge amount of time that has passed since he wrote, the things he wrote about and emotions he exposed are simply timeless!
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors