EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Vocabulary

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Postby nemo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:16 am

hi everybody......i like to discuss about vocabulary....i still remember my first time in improving my english.......so terrible.....my vocabulary is so weak.......but i told myself it is just the beginning.......of course it is hard.....

So....what i do is....i read a lot of english books....then i listed any words that i don't know the meaning is.......and look at my dictionary.......i have more than 20 words a day because i 'm bookworm.

Besides that, i read my dictionary in my leisure time, watching english programmes and listening to english songs................it helps me a lot......

That's all.......good bye
nemo
Gold Member

Postby Sontung » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:32 am

So....what i do is....i read a lot of english books....then i listed any words that i don't know the meaning is.......and look at my dictionary.......i have more than 20 words a day because i 'm bookworm.

Besides that, i read my dictionary in my leisure time, watching english programmes and listening to english songs................it helps me a lot......

you learn very hard, I wish doing like that
Sontung

Postby Rogeryan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Pirate wrote:
hung wrote:Pirate, how can u expand yer E. vocabulary if u merely learn 1-5 new words a day? Personally I learn more than 20 words a day but I forget 15 ones the day after. And after a week I just rem. only 1 word :lol:

Ha ha, the more you learn, the more you forget!!!

5 is a good number to learn daily and the important thing is how long you keep it going on. 1 week, 1 month or 1 year? 1 week is easy, 1 month is possible but 1 year (=365 days) is a terribly great effort :!:

It's not how many words you have learnt, it's how many words you can remember (meaning and using), then learn them well! Make sentences, think of situation where you find the new words and imagine when you yourself can use them.

Absolutely...Can we find the better way to keep them going on?Ohterwise,the word we had learnt will be out of our brain after several years.It's too bad.
Rogeryan

Postby KuteSophia » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:27 pm

I think reading only helps improve vocabulary if you note down the new words while you read and take sometimes to look back the noted words in the days after. Reading without noting down new words doesn't enrich your vocab.
Expand vocabulary through learning root word, affixes (suffixes and prefixes)is also a good way, but it's a little bit difficult at first. To me, it's not really helpful, ‘cause it's so boring. I have to study that since it is in my syllabus.
To me, the most effective way is reading the article on the things i interested in, or my work related to. It helps me remember better.
KuteSophia

Postby robertjr. » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:07 am

my problem is i do not know how to use the vocabulary in grammar construction and can you help me how to use them in a sentence.
robertjr.

Postby Bambang » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:18 am

Memorising some words in every single day doesn't work to me.

Psychologically speaking, we'll learn something better if we enjoy the lesson.

The concept is the same when we are learning vocabulary.

If we are not interested in the words and we still push ourselves to memorise them, then sooner or later the words will be out of our minds.

Contrastly, when we are curious about a word and the word interests us, then we'll be happier to look it up in our dictionaries. And it will be in our mind for a long time or maybe it will even be in our memory permanently.

So, I enrich my vocabulary by looking them up in my dictionaries when I am curious about the words.

The words I look up are from the articles I read or the English programs I listened.

The point is : Reading and watching, then find some words that interest you or make you curious.

That helps me a lot.

Supernaturally speaking all EC members are curious people, especially in learning English.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Tora » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:12 am

the advice I was given by my former English teacher:
- if you have a note-book for vocabulary, make sure you write an English word on the right and the definition in your language (or the description in English) on the left - it helps to memorize new words

- work with a new word, find synonyms, write out several sentences including new words, phrases and leave it for two weeks time, then revise it and do it after a month time once again, pretty long, but words do really keep in mind :wink:
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby iamvitaly » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:31 am

I realy like to improve my vocabulary. I have an interesting book about english idioms and phrasal verbs and everyday learn 15-20 new words and phrases. After I create an article with new words (I try to use the most of them), and repeat words helps me special sowtware, which test me in a different kinds. It's my way.
iamvitaly
Silver Member

Postby Andrianna » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 am

I have a program that appears on the desktop every 20 minutes during my work day. It offers to write the translation of different words. It helps me very much.
Andrianna

Postby VeKa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:22 am

and how can I study english spiking language??? and if you seems of my mistakes,please tell me :)
VeKa

PreviousNext

Return to Vocabulary Help