EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

A raped woman was sentenced to jail!

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

A raped woman was sentenced to jail!

Postby MissLT » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:02 pm

This is wrong on so many levels!!!!

Believe me, I've been trying very hard to understand this culture, but every day it surprises me with this kinda news. I mean, she was a victim and she got sentenced to jail, plus being whipped 200 lashes? Where's the justice? Where's the right of a woman? We are NOT animals that you can whip and mold in any way you want!!! I'm so outraged! :x
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby =Ahmad= » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:23 pm

First of all, I am convinced that this thread has nothing to do with a certain religion. Lenny, the thread starter, has no intention to discredit a certain religion.

Second of all, the girl was sentenced because she had broken one of Islamic Sharia law saying that “women are not allowed in public in the company of men other than their male relatives”. She was sentenced to several lashes and several months in prison NOT because she was gang raped, BUT it’s all because she had broken the Islamic Sharia law. So as the victim of the rape, she should be defended, BUT as the Islamic Sharia law breaker, she should be punished.

Third of all, the initial sentences for the men convicted of the gang rape ranged from ten months to 5 years in prison. Their new sentences range from 2 years to nine years. Or in other words, the judge doubled their sentences. And each of them DESERVES it.

How should we respond to this case?

First, whipping the guilty and putting them in prison is allowed in Islamic Sharia law. And we should respect it.

Second, there should be an appeal for this case as the verdict was too lenient for the rapist.

Thank you very much.
=Ahmad=
Silver Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:35 pm

=Ahmad= wrote:
First, whipping the guilty and putting them in prison is allowed in Islamic Sharia law. And we should respect it.

Sorry, but I will never respect a religion or thought that justifies violence, at any level.

Lennye, this is outragerous! :shock: They surprise me every day too. I have no words.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Hardi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:09 pm

It's really outrageous. Even if looking it this way, that punishment is meant to prevent crimes not for punishing. It's outrageous. Like but bank director to jail because his bank was robed.

By The Way. My dictionary say this word is outrageous not outragerous. :mrgreen:
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:47 pm

=Ahmad= wrote:First of all, I am convinced that this thread has nothing to do with a certain religion. Lenny, the thread starter, has no intention to discredit a certain religion.

As you know their system has something to do with the religion, so it's hard to separate those two. That's why I had the intention to badmouth about certain religion when I was reading this news alone but not when I wanted to share with everyone here. What I wanted to bring up is the sexism and illogical and/or inhuman of the way they treat women.

=Ahmad= wrote:Second of all, the girl was sentenced because she had broken one of Islamic Sharia law saying that “women are not allowed in public in the company of men other than their male relatives”. She was sentenced to several lashes and several months in prison NOT because she was gang raped, BUT it’s all because she had broken the Islamic Sharia law. So as the victim of the rape, she should be defended, BUT as the Islamic Sharia law breaker, she should be punished.

What is this? :?

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A Saudi court sentenced a woman who had been gang raped to six months in jail and 200 lashes — more than doubling her initial penalty for being in the car of a man who was not a relative, a newspaper reported Thursday.

=Ahmad= wrote:Third of all, the initial sentences for the men convicted of the gang rape ranged from ten months to 5 years in prison. Their new sentences range from 2 years to nine years. Or in other words, the judge doubled their sentences. And each of them DESERVES it.

Why do we even bother to talk about this? I mean, if those men weren't punished, I swear to God, hell should have raised to defend this woman. :roll:

=Ahmad= wrote:How should we respond to this case?

Tell me why I should? It's because it's the law and we should respect it? Back then in America African-Americans didn't get the right to vote or do anything, should we have respected this darn law then? Please, give me more logical reasons than just the respect. Respect is earned and I don't see how this law should earn mine.

:?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Dixie wrote:
=Ahmad= wrote:

Sorry, but I will never respect a religion or thought that justifies violence, at any level.

Lennye, this is outragerous! :shock: They surprise me every day too. I have no words.

Exactly, Dixie. When I was trying to learn about Islam and came across the Sharia law, I winced. I was scared from the inside out. I couldn't believe that there is such thing that could manipulate and drive people to their worse nightmares.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:00 pm

Hardi wrote:It's really outrageous. Even if looking it this way, that punishment is meant to prevent crimes not for punishing. It's outrageous. Like but bank director to jail because his bank was robed.

By The Way. My dictionary say this word is outrageous not outragerous. :mrgreen:

I love this bold part. No wonder I love you. You always know how to say the right words. Everyone's body is supposed to be sacred, and someone is punished to jail because someone else has violated it? Where's is the justice? :x
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Vega » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:40 pm

The holy Rule of EC says: No discussion of politics or religion. ..otherwise I would reply to this topic. :?
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:23 pm

Talking about a woman who is being treated like an animal is politics or religion? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Anahita » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:09 am

such a horrible crime is not some thing any one can ignores :-s this is just the tip of the ice berg Len, many of women who are getting abused, don't dare to go to the police because of such a primitive laws, there is no justice for women.

This is so harsh but this is the truth... :-s
Anahita
Platinum Member

Next

Return to Current News