Pluto is not a planet

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

YayuRahayu
Rising Star
Rising Star

Pluto is not a planet

Post by YayuRahayu »

Now researchers has found new observed that planet Pluto which we knew thats one of planet in the universe but now as I know from my lecture that Pluto is not called a planet again but satellite. what do you think about this?

thanks forn advance :)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

It's never too late :idea:
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Pluto is not a planet

Post by Vega »

YayuRahayu wrote:Now researchers has found new observed that planet Pluto which we knew thats one of planet in the universe but now as I know from my lecture that Pluto is not called a planet again but satellite. what do you think about this?

thanks forn advance :)
Hi YayuRahayu :D, How are you? :P

I heard about that. Also, the word Pluto is a neologism. To pluto means to demote or devalue someone or something... :)
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

Why is that pluto NOT a planet?
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

bambang wrote:Why is that pluto NOT a planet?
Pluto has dual classification as a planet and a TNO (Trans-Neptunian Object).
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Pluto is a member of so-called Kuiper belt - a constellation of minor planets, the only difference that Pluto has concerns this fact - rarely the orbit of it's flight covers the one of planet Neptune and Pluto obtains a very slightly visible atmosphere.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

On August 24, 2006, astronomers had resolved to demote Pluto as a part of the cosmic club. Also on this date, it was officially declared that there are only 8 planets in the solar system.
Because, Pluto is considered as a dwarf planet. Under the definition - dwarf planets are not planets. It is recognized as a new classification of Trans - Neptunian Objects.

This resolution (to remove Pluto from the line of planets in the Solar System) was done by vote. And out of the 10,000 professional astronomers around the globe only 424 astronomers were allowed to vote. (Which is even less than 5% of the world's astronomers.)

A scientist tagged the definition (dwarf planet & categorized as TNO) as farce and absurd! And said that the astronomers are already spreading around an appeal involved to reverse the IAU (International Astronomical Union) resolution. Some astronomers attacked the definition as vague.

:idea: a touch of history*
Venetia Burney Phair - 11 year old British girl who gave the Planet X Pluto its name. On May 1930, the planet was officially called Pluto. Pluto was the Greek god of the underworld.
(((Edu)))
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by (((Edu))) »

Pluto is Mickey's dog.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

(((Edu))) wrote:Pluto is Mickey's dog.
:P :lol: