EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.


All Change!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

All Change!

Postby TalkingPoint » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:37 pm

All change is progress. Do you agree?
User avatar
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
Location: England
Status: English Teacher

Re: All Change!

Postby Vega » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Change in a good way is progress.
User avatar
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
 
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:59 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: All Change!

Postby Bambang » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Nothin' lasts forever.
We're all friends, right?
User avatar
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Re: All Change!

Postby aPeace » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:14 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:All change is progress. Do you agree?


:roll: I don't agree , not all ><
User avatar
aPeace
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:36 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: All Change!

Postby nancywu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:07 am

in some sense, i agree with you. even it change in the bad way or something failed, but you can learn from it. it can called progress in a different angle.
nancywu
Silver Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:22 am
Status: Other

Re: All Change!

Postby abdulrudsmit » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Progress means moving forward and if change is a move backwards, then not all change is progress. Humankind tends to change in a negative way, which means not progressing but regressing. So change will only be considered progress if it is for the betterment of ourselves and others.
Love Counsellor
True Love brings True Happiness
User avatar
abdulrudsmit
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 2:06 am
Location: Padang, Indonesia
Status: Other

Re: All Change!

Postby chinna » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:58 pm

definitely change is important in everyone's life.as it is the only thing which brings progress in one's attitude or achievements.without change ,one cannot overcome from their mistakes or sorrows.
chinna
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:50 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: All Change!

Postby Bambang » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:21 pm

abdulrudsmit wrote:Progress means moving forward and if change is a move backwards, then not all change is progress. Humankind tends to change in a negative way, which means not progressing but regressing. So change will only be considered progress if it is for the betterment of ourselves and others..


Agree. Some changes are bad. Look at my face. It's changed; and that's bad. I look older. much older. Really. :lol:

BUT then...

If you look at it from a pessimistic point of view, then you are right by saying that humankind tends to change in a negative way. However, from an optimistic point of view, that's not right. Humandkind tends to change in a positive way. Who wants to be in a worse situation? Everybody wants a betterment.

One more thing, not all progress is good. The nuclear technology for instance. Technologically speaking, that's good; extremely good. However, politically and humanly speaking, that's not good. That's a disaster :!:
We're all friends, right?
User avatar
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Re: All Change!

Postby abdulrudsmit » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:16 am

I agree with you Bambang. All things change including our faces but I believe it is not bad at all. The older we get the better we are. Just like wine - the older the age of the wine the better it is :lol: . Therefore, the older we get the wiser we should be.

Right, we can always look at things in a pessimistic or optimistic way. I am an optimist but if we compare human beings now with those in the past there are more hatred in the world now. With progress in technology, progress in the way humans think, we expect the world to be more peaceful but it is not. The strong dominates and destroys the weak (politically, economically, socially), people killing people just because they are different (religion, race, ethnic group) or simply because we think differently. Humans are regressing as a collective Bambang but I am an optimist. In the end, the good will win over the bad. REAL PROGRESS WILL TRIUMPH. :D

Take care y'all.
Love Counsellor
True Love brings True Happiness
User avatar
abdulrudsmit
Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 2:06 am
Location: Padang, Indonesia
Status: Other

Re: All Change!

Postby Bambang » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:57 am

abdulrudsmit wrote:I agree with you Bambang. All things change including our faces but I believe it is not bad at all. The older we get the better we are.



I wish I could choose to have an ageless face. You’ll agree with me when you see some wrinkles on your ugly face. You’ll say this to yourself; “Oh My Dog, how ugly I am now. I wish I were 17”.
:D

abdulrudsmit wrote:Just like wine - the older the age of the wine the better it is :lol: . Therefore, the older we get the wiser we should be.



You can go with your wine and get drunk for the rest of your life. My face is not wine. The more wrinkles the better. :wink:


abdulrudsmit wrote:the older we get the wiser we should be.


The older you are the more senile you’ll be. No doubt!


abdulrudsmit wrote:Right, we can always look at things in a pessimistic or optimistic way. I am an optimist but if we compare human beings now with those in the past there are more hatred in the world now. With progress in technology, progress in the way humans think, we expect the world to be more peaceful but it is not. The strong dominates and destroys the weak (politically, economically, socially), people killing people just because they are different (religion, race, ethnic group) or simply because we think differently. Humans are regressing as a collective Bambang but I am an optimist. In the end, the good will win over the bad. REAL PROGRESS WILL TRIUMPH. :D

Take care y'all.


I am happy to hear you saying that you are an optimist. As a fellow Indonesian, I like knowing optimistic Indonesian people. But, based on your point of view, I doubt it. You don’t look like an optimist.

There is more hatred these days? The quantity of hatred is constant. It’s the same all the time; yesterday – today – and tomorrow. It’s only the doers that are different. Hatred sticks to human beings. It’s there with them till the death picks them up.

This world will never be peaceful as hatred still exists in this planet. Don’t ever hope a peaceful world! That’s a dead loss! Stay away from that way of thinkin’.


abdulrudsmit wrote:The strong dominates and destroys the weak (politically, economically, socially), people killing people just because they are different (religion, race, ethnic group) or simply because we think differently. Humans are regressing as a collective Bambang but I am an optimist. In the end, the good will win over the bad. REAL PROGRESS WILL TRIUMPH. :D

Take care y'all.



Agree.
We're all friends, right?
User avatar
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests