EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What do you think about euthanasia?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

What do you think about euthanasia?

Postby Bambang » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:50 am

Agree or disagree?
We're all friends, right?
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Re: What do you think about euthanasia?

Postby Dixie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:52 am

Depends. For example, if the person is suffering and asks expressly for it, then I agree. Why let them suffer?
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Bambang » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:11 am

Isn't it a crime to kill someone else?
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:18 am

bambang wrote:Isn't it a crime to kill someone else?

I think it's even worse to let them suffer. Actually we have no idea how much they are suffering. And if that person asks for it, why deny them that right? I know it's a very controversial issue. We want them alive but we cannot have them and they do now want to live anymore...
Dixie

Postby Bambang » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:52 pm

To me, living is an obligation. Living is not a choice. One cannot choose to be alive or dead. When one is still alive, s/he should do anything to be happy in this life. When they are sick or even dying, they should do their best to stay alive. But if they have to die, they should die naturally - not by committing suicide or being killed by someone else (Euthanasia for example).

Who can exactly know that there's no hope for the patients to stay alive. Only God knows. Some patients were claimed by doctors that their lives wouldn't be long, but in fact, some of them could still be alive, even longer than the doctors.

I agree with you that this is a very controversial issue. But, nothing's wrong to discuss it I suppose.

Dixie wrote:We want them alive but we cannot have them and they do not want to live anymore...

Dixie, there are many people out there who are really desperate. They think this life sucks. Everything is boring, bad, uninteresting, etc etc. Some of them want to commit suicide and some want us to kill them. Should we kill 'em just because they ask for it? I don't think so.

We've got to suffer sometimes. I think that's the essence of life. Life's a cycle. Maybe our suffering time is when we're dying. Who knows? And euthanasia is not the solution to the suffering.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:19 pm

You talk as if you were preaching. Sometimes you should remember that not everyone shares your beliefs. To me, there's no god, energy or something similiar right above us.

You're right, living is not a choice, nobody choses when they are born. But saying that "living is an obligation" sounds really strong, to me.

How do you know that "euthanasia is not the solution to the suffering"? Are you a doctor? Do you know anyone who's been in that situation? My answers are no, of course. So I cannot know for sure. But I do know that if someone is in great pain and they cannot survive, why prolong it? I'm sure you get my point.
Dixie

Postby Bambang » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 am

Dixie wrote:You talk as if you were preaching. Sometimes you should remember that not everyone shares your beliefs. To me, there's no god, energy or something similiar right above us.

I was not preaching; I just put forward my thoughts. OK fine; let's not drag beliefs in this topic. I won't.

Dixie wrote:You're right, living is not a choice, nobody choses when they are born. But saying that "living is an obligation" sounds really strong, to me.

Cool! We both agree on this.

Dixie wrote:How do you know that "euthanasia is not the solution to the suffering"? Are you a doctor? Do you know anyone who's been in that situation? My answers are no, of course. So I cannot know for sure.

I am not a doctor. However, I know for sure that some doctors do it. In some countries, euthanasia is against the law while in some others, it's legal.

Dixie wrote:But I do know that if someone is in great pain and they cannot survive, why prolong it? I'm sure you get my point.

When we're in great pain, we should still be optimistic, in my opinion. Nobody knows whether or not we're gonna survive. But one thing for sure "Don't ever give up hope"! when we are doing our best to survive even in great pain doesn't mean that we're prolonging the pain.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Melek » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:50 am

really very problematic issue.recently I have read the article about it.One Armenian doctor (I dont remember his name) killed some of his patients.I'm completely against it.God gave us life & only he can take it back.There is such saying 'if God gave disaster,he will give a remedy' about that doctor I want to add that it was considered as a crime & was arrested.
Melek
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:35 am

bambang wrote:When we're in great pain, we should still be optimistic, in my opinion. Nobody knows whether or not we're gonna survive. But one thing for sure "Don't ever give up hope"! when we are doing our best to survive even in great pain doesn't mean that we're prolonging the pain.

I think we are talking about very different kinds of pain :roll: So, if a doctor tells somebody they're not going to survive and they've only got a few days, weeks or months left, and that somebody is in great suffering, we should doubt the doctor's word and still think that "nobody knows whether we are going to survive?" Looks to me we are talking about different things.
Dixie

Postby Dixie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:38 am

melek wrote:really very problematic issue.recently I have read the article about it.One Armenian doctor (I dont remember his name) killed some of his patients.I'm completely against it.God gave us life & only he can take it back.There is such saying 'if God gave disaster,he will give a remedy' about that doctor I want to add that it was considered as a crime & was arrested.

Again, more preaching.
Dixie

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions