EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Should young criminals (under 18) be sent to prison?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: Should young criminals (under 18) be sent to prison?

Postby cintonegro » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm

I think the person who are younguer than 18 can not do anithing to enter to prision. It is not to much people who kills his parents with under 18 i t is not normaly. So I say that only in exceptual cases the boys or girls under 18 has to be in prision ofcourse they have to pay his crime but not in prision in comunity doing works or something else.
cintonegro

Postby cintonegro » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:38 pm

8) :P helloo.It is really dificult to decide if boys under 18 must can be in prision or not. first of all i am 16 so i say it is a very hard norm because a boy can not be very bad to enter to prision under 16.
the crime can do a boy who has under 18 it can not be very bad what can do a person who has under 18 stole in a shop it is not very bad there is not to much people who kills his parents with a katana when they are under 18. The norm can be reajustated for people who do very bads crime for example kill or rob a very big cuantity of money or something like that.
but now is a very hard norm to people who only has under 18
cintonegro

Postby Vega » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:26 pm

In Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Iran and Nigeria young criminals can be sentenced to death. In Russia person cannot be sent to prison if his/she's age is less 14.
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby errorenlaconexion » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:41 pm

epppsss :D
errorenlaconexion

Postby yomismo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:19 am

naxo is is very silly because he needs glasses but he doesn't wear them, so he doesn't see anything xDDD
yomismo

Postby pablop » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:21 am

Well I think the are some extreme cases which should be punished whith prison. However teenagers can be easily manipulated and they are pushed to steal or to kill by gangs´ adult leaders.
It´ s very complecated to judge those criminals because the parents also have a big part of responsabilty.
pablop

Postby AliciaMSanchez » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:27 am

I think that before they were sent to prison , police should investigate about their conditions, why they've commited the crime, if the were on a gang or if their parents could have obliged them.
And when the police has done that, they should only be sent to prison if they've commited an important crime, like killing someone or kidnapping. If they have only stolen something or they've threaten someone, they should be taken to a reformatory, so in the future they wouldn't commit more important crimes.
ALICIA
AliciaMSanchez

Postby Anuska » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:31 am

I think that people under 18 should not be sent to prison if they have stole a shop or something like this, I think they should do communite service, because sometimes they are not doing it because they want, they do it because they are in a gang and they cannot go out of the gang.
In oder cases whenn they have killed someone they should go to a reformatory, because the ambient where they live, gets a bad influence in thems. :!:
Anuska

Postby Cris » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:32 am

:| i belive that young people under 18 dont have to go to the prision,cause almost always they arent conscious of the real situation and normally when they do a serious crime is because they are in a gang,so someone older make to them do it.I think that the real solution isnt take them to prision,the real solution is acting before this things happen.
Cris

Postby sergioc » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:40 am

I'm far from being an expert about that, but as what I know the number of underage people comitting crimes is increasing.
Sure that something must be done about it. A measure propossed by some people entails in sending people under 18 who commit a crime to prison.
I think in some cases that should be done, but always bearing in mind the crime they've comitted, cause not all the crimes deserve a prison sentence.
I think, for example, shop lifting is not a serious crime. The shop lifter must return what he's stolen to the shop and pay a compensation (to the shop) for the comitted crime. Nevertheless, I think an underage person who has raped or kidnapped someone, should go to prison.
So the conclusion of this reply is: Young criminals (people under 18) can be sent to prison but only wheter they've comitted a serious crime, and the others who have comitted a less serious crime should be fined or punished with community services. Do you agree with me?
sergioc

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion