EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Plagiarism is THEFT

Rules, guidelines, news, technical help and tips

Moderator: EC

Plagiarism is THEFT

Postby Josef » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Copying text from other websites and pasting it into these forums without citing the source is unacceptable. Please add a note at the end of any copied text to give the source of the text. This is not mentioned in the EC rules because it is a matter of legality and common courtesy. It is hoped that EC members will not be so crass as to plagiarize in future. Any that do will be liable to have their membership suspended. Thank you for your co-operation.

"If the cap fits, wear it."
Josef
Protector of the Boards
Protector of the Boards

Re: Plagiarism is THEFT

Postby Tora » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:16 am

Oh, Thank you! Finally!
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Krisi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 am

Thank you Mr. Josef.
click --> Happy Valentine!
always.

:-)
Krisi
Ethereal Member

Postby Oriani » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:25 am

I remember that I had to give a master class about Plagiarism two semesters ago in my college. What it annoys me a lot is that some of my classmates write essays, paper works; and they copy and paste form internet or books and they say they have the whole credit. I cannot stand it.. So, I am glad that this point has come out in the forum.

Thanks, Sr Josef.
Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Vega » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:32 am

Josef wrote:"If the cap fits, wear it."

I like this saying. :)
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Dixie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:27 am

Oriani wrote:I remember that I had to give a master class about Plagiarism two semesters ago in my college. What it annoys me a lot is that some of my classmates write essays, paper works; and they copy and paste form internet or books and they say they have the whole credit. I cannot stand it.. So, I am glad that this point has come out in the forum.

Thanks, Sr Josef.

My older students had to hand in a paper on a book we had read last semester. 7 of them handed in a paper directly copied from Internet sites, not even changing a comma! Obviously they got a D, and their final mark went down a lot!
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby shokin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 am

I heard that : Even with telling the sources we don't have right to copy-past the integrality (or even a part) of a text. Not sure about it.

Definitively a great question (ethical or economical or political or social motivations ? a song is not a mp3, which is not show, which is not a pdf, which is not a pharmaceutical product, which is not GMO, which is not a book, which is not a clone, which is not me... :lol: ), these author rights.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Vega » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:13 pm

shokin wrote:I heard that : Even with telling the sources we don't have right to copy-past the integrality (or even a part) of a text. Not sure about it.

I heard something like that concerning books. here's an example:

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, without prior permission in writing of ...

You must not circulate this book in any other binding or cover and you must impose this same condition on any acquirer.

As to web resources I agree with the majority here that by crediting the author you can post that here.

mentarget wrote:Thanks Joseph. Let those who steal ideas or information stop doing it, you guys can see that it is now an unwriting EC rule.

If an idea does not have a legal representative I think it can be counted as free source. It like a proverb you know. :mrgreen:

P.S.
by saying that it doesn't imply I steal ideas.
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Oriani » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:18 pm

Dixie wrote:
Oriani wrote:I remember that I had to give a master class about Plagiarism two semesters ago in my college. What it annoys me a lot is that some of my classmates write essays, paper works; and they copy and paste form internet or books and they say they have the whole credit. I cannot stand it.. So, I am glad that this point has come out in the forum.

Thanks, Sr Josef.

My older students had to hand in a paper on a book we had read last semester. 7 of them handed in a paper directly copied from Internet sites, not even changing a comma! Obviously they got a D, and their final mark went down a lot!

And they don't even remove this " edit".. "more information" , "click here" ; hahahaha.. it's funny sometimes, because I have classmates that they really think they are "MASTERS"; They were caught with plagiarism...!!! By the way, I wrote about that in the link I posted in Shazzan's topic:-) :)

Keep on putting D's :twisted:
Oriani

Postby MissLT » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:22 am

Dixie wrote:My older students had to hand in a paper on a book we had read last semester. 7 of them handed in a paper directly copied from Internet sites, not even changing a comma! Obviously they got a D, and their final mark went down a lot!

Pretty generous of you, then. Here we get suspended for plagiarism.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Next

Return to Help, Rules and Guidelines