EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Vocabulary

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for your vocabulary

Postby fabulous » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:41 pm

'alo,

i used to enrich and enhance my vocabulary is jot down the strange word whenever or wherever i encountered from reading articles or story books. later on, i find for the meaning of those word. that is very effective way if you keep reading repeatedly.

:!: however, if you write down one or two useful example sentences for the word you are finding, it might help you imprint those word.
:!: this way really help me. it does worked!

hope it might be a help you, brilliant!
Still Fabulous
fabulous

Postby faithfulman » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:50 pm

it's a very intelligent mean thank u
faithfulman

Postby ILANA » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:32 pm

desertrose wrote:hello...how can learn english words easily?

I think it depens on your pimary modality. For example, I have good visual memery and I should look at words, write and repeat them and give english explaination for each. And a perfect way of learning new words it is assosiation each one in your native language, but it's not easy.
ILANA

Postby forum » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:31 am

The best way to learn vocabulary is to use it! That means you need to READ, WRITE, LISTEN and TALK!!

You will find that if you do this with NATIVE English material, you will find a lot of USEFUL words to learn. I think this way is much better than learning from a vocabulary book.

I know in my experience, when I learned a new word by EXPERIENCING it, I would REMEMBER it! By experiencing it, I mean:
[1] meeting the word in a real language situation
[2] not knowing what it means
[3] finding out the meaning (maybe with a dictionary or from a friend)
[4] then using the word.

If you are always READING, WRITING, LISTENING and SPEAKING English as much as possible, your vocabulary will grow and grow and GROW!
John
Free English Lessons: http://www.askjohnenglish.com/
forum
Silver Member

Postby Sunnypk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:29 am

forum wrote:The best way to learn vocabulary is to use it! That means you need to READ, WRITE, LISTEN and TALK!!

You will find that if you do this with NATIVE English material, you will find a lot of USEFUL words to learn. I think this way is much better than learning from a vocabulary book.

I know in my experience, when I learned a new word by EXPERIENCING it, I would REMEMBER it! By experiencing it, I mean:
[1] meeting the word in a real language situation
[2] not knowing what it means
[3] finding out the meaning (maybe with a dictionary or from a friend)
[4] then using the word.

If you are always READING, WRITING, LISTENING and SPEAKING English as much as possible, your vocabulary will grow and grow and GROW!

It has great sound my ideas were as well something like yours one

Do u know what do I utilize other implement to improve my vocabulary, beside all I have installed some English dictionaries in my computer chiefly I use to make the best of finding out many interesting words and use it in speaking with my friends
As you so, so shall you reap
Sunnypk
Platinum Member

6 words per day

Postby awrang » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:41 am

Hello everyone to increase your vocabluray follow this:

1. Learn 6 new words related to the same subject per day
2. Read these 6 words 50 times per day with yourself
3. Write/rewrite them on a peace of paper 50 times per day
4. After one week read/write all of your words again three/four times that day

Trust me you will have a very powerful vocabulary after several months.... {-;
when you have good vocabulary you will speak,read and understand a lot more.. :!:
Awrang Zaib Taraki
awrang
Silver Member

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Postby forum » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:57 am

Great advice!
I had a friend who practiced new words everytime he walked through a door...Whenever he walked through a door, he would think about the word and try to make a sentence in his head. He said he learned 50 words a week doing this. Amazing!
John
Free English Lessons: http://www.askjohnenglish.com/
forum
Silver Member

Postby echho » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:34 pm

hi my friends
I think to learn vocabulary is the most difficult the others.
2 days ago my friend and I memorised some phrasal verbs. sometimes it could be funny. I think you had better study with your friends. so you aren't bored.
finally I remember most of them.
however, twice a day you shoul read the list of vocabulary. It is very helpful for you.
My heart is telling me
I hate the fact that I love you
I feel blue
echho
Silver Member

Postby PrinnySquad » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:12 am

My First Post:
This is an awesome website. I love the Tips for Learning English series. Even the post section has an amazing spell-check function built-in. Talk about Awesomeness 8-)

I just love words (a.k.a Vocabs), and I do have this ambitious dream of one day being able to use English to communicate just like a Native Speaker. I do recognize the importance of vocabulary and its usage. Vocabulary is essential in reading and writing English. I would love to get some practice on this Website everyday, like posting my rants up here and get some help from the forum members :twisted:. This will be one of my daily activities.

I am currently on a plan of extending my vocabulary by following some of the methods posted in couple hundreds posts above(That's quite a long read I know). There will be time you will see my awkward word usage, sometimes broken sentences but please be patient and help me achieve my dream. {-:

I also want to share my own method: (just for reference but creating your own method is the best way)
Get some Vocabulary books, believe me, those author know what they are talking about. Study at least 10 words per day. Make sentences, make jokes, and learn the right way of using words. And typing up Articles or short stories that you like.
I 've been following this schedule on and off for sometimes now but I think it helps.
Thank you for sharing and all the help, people.

P/S: Where should I post my rants and article to get help :roll:
PrinnySquad

Postby PrinnySquad » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:11 am

Is this forum dead? I've posted in three different topics but none has been replied?
Moderator please tell me.
PrinnySquad

PreviousNext

Return to Vocabulary Help