EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

British VS American English which is better?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, Dixie, EC

Re: British VS American English which is better?

Postby trungkienb » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:34 pm

bambang wrote:
What are the most common words, please?

Good question Bambang. I think they might be : "Yeah", "hi"..whatever they are.
trungkienb
Silver Member

Postby Oriani » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:04 am

I know the American because I come from the American continent(however I live next to Guyana and they speak British) but I must learn British for my role play.

As a future English teacher I have to know Both!! I like each one since I was a little girl, eventhough my daddy just taught me the American and I am used to it, already! It takes time to get used to a language. It happened to me when I was learning French, so, If you don't like one's accent, it does not mean that is bad. That's a wrong term that people use when they are refering to something they don't like; I conclude that everything is a matter of taste :wink: :wink: :wink:
Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Bambang » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:53 am

Well said, Oriani. Well said! :D
Will you be my teacher?
We're all friends, right?
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Oriani » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:33 am

I'll be graduating in 2009 :lol:
Oriani

Postby Bambang » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:20 am

No need to wait for your graduation. You've been a teacher here, at EC! :wink:
We're all friends, right?
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Vega » Sat May 24, 2008 11:03 pm

Britons speak more clearly I think than Americans. However, BrEng's intonation is a bit complicated compared to AmEng. This is my personal view..
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Re:

Postby Koala » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:19 am

IowaRocks wrote:I personally believe British English is too "flowery." American English seems to be more direct and to the point, but in the case of creative writing it is better to use flowery language, so it's important to understand both.

I think so, too. But AmEng has its own good points and BrtEng does. We shouldn't consider which is better.
Koala
Silver Member

Postby DerAfrikaner » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:45 am

Yeah, I know this thread's been dead for over a year, but I need to say this. Being South African (and a canyon crab at that), I've heard the South African accent the most. It doesn't differ very much from traditional British because of most Anglo-African's heritage. It has, however, mixed alot with the Dutch diriven Afrikaans, making it what most people would say "less correct".

Personally, I think that American English is the best. I don't think it's easier to learn, but it's been made that way in some regions, giving it somewhat of a bad name. For example: I can't explain how much I hate it that so many people mix the past and the present or past perfect in the sense of "I seen" instead of the correct "I have or I had seen". All English dialects are guility of it, and I can't stand it.

Anyway, I think that for a Afrikaans speaker, American English is more fluid, but has a more difficult vocabulary as it has nearly twice as many words as British English. The spelling is easier, though.The New England accent (excluding Rhode Island and Boston) sounds so professional. I guess that's why all American news broadcast in other nations has Americans with that accent.
DerAfrikaner

Re: wrong!

Postby greenthirteen » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:19 am

danyet wrote:There is not enough difference between the way Americans and English talk to even say that they are speaking different "dialects". It is the same language with a regional accent. Just the same as Australian or New Zealand or South Africans speak.

I am afraid that this person is incorrect. There is a remarkable difference between American and British English. The best way to understand the differences, if you believed what this person here wrote, then I suggest you rent a movie such as "SNATCH", by Guy Ritchie.

This movie demonstrates the differences quite a bit, (exclude the Brad Pitt) character. The Brits use a more formal sounding language, where Americans (and Canadians), use a more informal sounding language. Of course there are many words that are common, but there are plenty words and expressions that just are not.

To any native speaker of English, the differences are remarkably vast. Line up (1,5, 1000) Brits and Yanks, the native speaker will identify them with one hundred percent accuracy...

(I am a native speaker of English)
(You are not... and it is obvious... not with just this post, but others by you i have read)
greenthirteen

Re:

Postby greenthirteen » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:25 am

Xkalibur wrote::roll: I don't hear any difference between BrEng and AmEng when I'm trying understand it by watching BBC and CNN. If possible, can anybody tell what my writings looks like more, BrEn or AmEn? Or is the difference only in pronunciation?

According to my grammar book, BrEng says, for example: Have you had a dinner? AmEng says: Did you have a dinner?

The differences are huge! The structure is the same as are most, if not all grammar points. The difference comes from word choices and pronunciation... Rent a movie called KNOTTING HILL... watch it in English (obviously) and note the differences between Hugh Grant's character and Julia Robert's character... In fact, with the exception of Julia's character and Hugh's "room-mate" (we say room-mate, they say flatmate or lodger)... everyone in there is British speaking...ok...
greenthirteen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion