EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Reading in English is a waste of time!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: Reading in English is a waste of time!

Postby Bambang » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:41 pm

sweets wrote:"We are in danger if we can't speak English"

well uncle Bambang iam not calling to leave english as a language but to take care about our national languages :|

OK. Never forget to practice our national languages. :P
We're all friends, right?
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby sweets » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:31 pm

this is a good move :)
دخلت حياتي كنسمة وخرجت منها كإعصار
sweets
Rough Diamond Member

Postby lxguy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:38 am

Reading plays a very important role in language learning.But we should choose suitable reading materials according to learners' learning level.
www.171english.cn
lxguy

Postby gem » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Reading itself is not a waste of time. It is a way of learning, widening your knowledge. Reading english materials will surely improve your english skills. So if you dont want or dont appreciate english language then it will be a waste of time for you but for those who are very eager and find english language very useful..in work , studies and for his /her entire life then its definitely NOT a waste of time..... :P
gem
Silver Member

Postby Seafarer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Oh, you really talked like my students:) I can't change your mind, but it gets harder as long as you resist it:) The same explanation that i make to my students :D
Seafarer
Gold Member

Postby Annaa » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:47 am

I don`t think so :-D
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
Annaa
Rough Diamond Member

Postby HelenMm » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:47 pm

skorpion wrote:
TalkingPoint wrote:Reading in English is a waste of time!

Do YOU agree?

I think it really depends. If you're a beginner, it is a waste of time, cause you'll be guessing the pronunciation of a lot of words you don't know, and that'll just make your English hard to understand. Beginners should practice their English by listening a lot and then by speaking. When the learner has strong listening and speaking skills, then he/she can move on to reading.

If you're an advanced student, then reading should not be a waste of time... provided that you keep a good dictionary next to you so that you can always check the correct pronunciation of new words.

I hope this helps.

I don't agree that beginners should only listen or speak English. I think that reading helps people to improve their vocabulary and extend their horizons. I began learning English from reading.
HelenMm

Postby alkhader » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:09 am

That's completely untrue, because reader gain many things when they read much.
First, Students, people, and none native speakers who don't have ability to read Englsih in correct way they can improve their reading by reading more and more. So the more youread the more you be perfect reader.

Second, Many people and leaders who always read a lot have a lot of experience in many things. For Instance, People who read old histories have a good knowledge and learn from mistakes that happened in last wars and histories and going to a void them.

For more information you can e-mail me to a.alkhader@hawkifc.com

High Regards
Alkhader Ali
alkhader

Postby Koala » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:37 pm

I totally disagree. Reading English is the good way to improve your vocabulary and event your grammar. When you read regularly, you meet new words frequently so you can know them without trying to learn them by heart and it save you a lot of energy. Perhaps it take you a lot of time at the first time but it isn't waste and when you accustomed to reading, you can save a lot of time and learn not only English but also many things from this.
Koala
Silver Member

Postby denvinbo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:00 am

When you are reading a book or a story....you should read carefully to recognize the grammars the writer used....you can try to understand some words you don't know....or you can use the dictionary immediately.....and remember after use found it....retain it in mind....and recall it whenever you want it.... :-)
Hey! I'm stuck! Get me out!

PIETY-The stories of parents and children
denvinbo
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion