Full:Listening...Have you already known?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Full:Listening...Have you already known?

Post by denvinbo »

1/ The role of listening comprehension in communication:
_In communication, listening and speaking are separated 2 way: when communicating, we have to talk for the other to understand and we have to understand what they say. As usual, in many countries, when the first time learning a new language, we said it's very hard, but for long time, when giving a presentation, it's easier than listening...
_Why do I say that? Because listening requests: first, we have to catch up with the issue the other are talking about. Second, we have to understand their culture, traditional, because sometime they use classic references, or stories to make comparisons. So sometime we understand some words, we listen that words clearly, but we can understand the whole meaning. The major here is how we understand the whole meaning of the sentence they say, not only know...
_As for me, I make mistakes in translate when I translate for the other, but they can understand what I mean. The major here is: it's good, brief, concise or not. Even we listen to what they say for whole time, we can't understand, although we catch up with all their words. So in order to understand what they say, their meaning, the nuance of the meaning are very difficult. I'm used to say that understanding has to be real-life, experiencing and your knowledge of the issue is being discussing...
_We are talking about listening. With many English learners, studying how to listen has some difficultes. The 3 main problems are:
+ 1_We haven't understand English's words yet. For example: English speak very fast. Why do they speak very fast? Because they use stress and only press on the stress, it mean the most important words of the sentense, the words can transmit the whole meaning. For example: I have got a new box.....but English say....i got a 'new 'box. That's stress. If we don't know how to catch up with the stress, we can't listen. Beside, there's other intonations, for example: ligature..Come_on....liken....around_town,...
+ 2_Our thinking is different from them. So sometime we know all the words, but we don't understand the whole meaning. For example: Their air was one of independence and release from authority(they're look free and out of their parent's control). In fact, the meaning of independence is: self-contained, but in this sentence, it mean: free; and release from authority, authority does not mean government, it mean: care, control of the parents on their children. That expression is not easy to understand. Or the other when we want to ask someone if he or she is free on Thursday. As usual, Are you free on Thursday? but English say: How do you look on Thursday?. The usual answer is I'm free the whole day. But English say: I'm wide open on Thursday. Other example, when you see a footballer has a very wonderful goal in difficult situation, the commemtator says: Couldn't write a fairy tale like that!...
+ 3_The effect of mother tongue, in professional they call it transition or interference of mother tongue. When studying English, we pronounce English like as our language. When we listen to an English, we can't regconize, especially stress, for example: economy, its stress on -'co-. If pronouncing wrong 'economy, English can't regconize too...
_If we know these difficultes, we can know the solutions. However, we have to think about listening technical to training listening and understanding skill...
_In daily conversations, in life, there're 3 ways of communication: (1)face to face: talk with each other directly, (2)listening by radio: sound only, (3)Listening and Looking: watching TV(sound on and vision on)...

Be continue......... :-D
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Full:Listening...Have you already known?

Post by denvinbo »

2/ Build a word stock for listening comprehension:
_When we talk about studying foreign language process, we need to know about: three Rs...
+ The first R is: Remember. We remember needed informations. There're 2 ways: remember to use immediately, it's short term memory and remember to use for long time is long term memory. The important thing is you have to select the needed informations and inneeded informations...
+ The second R is: Retain. This is an ability of keeping vocabulary, grammar in mind for whole time. Some informations we have to retain forever, for example the basic sentences, or basic vocabulary...
+ The third R is: Recall. This is the most important element of using language. When we can retain informations, we need to recall, to use in daily conversations. If in daily conversation we can't recall the informations, so they're called: "death stock", "death vocabulary and death grammar". It's passive language. This is the language stock is not used actively, it's also not used to make sentences(speak) or text(write). So communicating comprehension is evaluated by recalling ability. The Three Rs help learner to perfect their language.
_Clearly, the Three Rs are considerable in building using language ability. About listening and understanding, we should retain sentences, words as much as we can, so we can listen to the other easier. Listening and understanding ability, especially active listening, it mean listening for everything, not only a natural gift. It's a thing we have to study and train. So in order to build up listening potentiality, what should we do?
_When studying a language, we have to build a base for communicating ability, in general, listening and speaking. Building potenteality hrough what? Through 2 forms. The first form is taking a course with higher level(elementary, imtermediate, advanced). The second form is outside activities.
_But it's not important about the forms. The important is how to start the course to make the ability of using language, especially listening. For example, the vocabulary stock or communication themes in schoolbooks, and vocabulary stock or communication themes in the same programs. But each writers, they're bookwriter or teacher finding documents to teach at class, have their own way of mining information: teaching methods. So learner can indicate for themselves a good way of studying...

(Be continue..) :-D
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Annaa »

Can you countinue cuz I like to read these.

P.S good job {-; .
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

Annaa wrote:Can you countinue cuz I like to read these.

P.S good job {-; .
OK! :-)
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

_Building vocabulary stock, it mean that building a stock for 4 skills. In fact, we can not say this stock is used for listening, this stock is used for speaking or reading or writing. There're no stocks like that. Only one.
_When using ability, we use our general vocabulary stock in different ways. For example: when writing we have to use the bookishness words (writing language). When speaking we use simple words, informal language and buffer words such as well, kind of, sort of... All this kind of words have to be retained...
_In English teaching and studying process, we separated vocabulary stock to many different levels from low to high, for example: 300 words, 400 words, 700 words, 1000 words, 1400 words, 1800 words and 2500 words..etc...This separation is used for improving English step by step, at the same time used for building a books system for learners with higher levels.
_When studying with any books, we need to know that words are always in context, and so that never study words like a dictionary. Context is pictures make us more possible to retain longer.
=> Which technicals can help us to improve using words skill to use for listening?
+ First, when having any new words we have to know its pronunciation, especially stresses, for example: e'conomy, suc'cessful. So when we listening to the other we can regconize them easily. If pronouncing and stresses wrong, our regconization capacity is very low.
+ Second, increasing vocabulary stock to use for listening, in general, concerning of informal language stock. We need to distinguish the words only used in speaking and only for writing. For example: reiterate (writing), repeat (speaking); or informal language (colloquialism) like bricky (builder), chippy (electrician), gofer (go-for), dunno (don't know)...
With each level of words, learners should do these steps: Reading 400 words:
+ Finding the new word's meaning. Knowing pronunciation. Remembering the word's context.
+ Seeing the diffirence of words in different contexts. This kind of work have to be done by reading stories..
+ When reading stories, remember the charactor's sentences because in stories, there're 2 forms: first is description (sight, state of mind,...), and second is conversation. Conversations in sentences are daily conversations.
+ Finally, finishing reading stories, we listen to the tape or watching video of the stories to know the English's speaking ways, and feel deeply with pronunciation.

(Be continue...) :-D
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

3. Listen for Stresses:
_We usually try to listen to all words in the sentence. Conversely, English always liaten for stresses, that's the important words in the sentence.
_What is listen for stresses? In a sentence, there're important and unimportant words. Usually, English always press on the important words; press, it mean speak louder, clearer and higher voice than the other words. That's telegraph speaking way. For example: in a message such as We have guest, come home now! which is important? It's Come home now!, We have guest can be said or not. In three words Come home now! which is important? It's Come now!, or even Come!. This's speaking with stresses. Another example: We will sign the contract tomorrow, there's only 3 stresses: sign...'contract...to'morrow. Listener can understand it once listening.
_Listening and understanding a message process have 2 steps:
+ Catch the stresses.
+ Link the meaning of the stresses in the sentence to guess the sentence's meaning.
_These 2 steps are happened im a moment. So we have to train carefully. We have:
=> A good beginning makes a good ending.
_So if we don't train carefully, we will come back to our old habit: listen for each words.
_When in daily conversation, we will see 2 difficultes: English will speak very fast or they will press on stresses heavily. With: I've never been fond of running, stress in fond and running, but they speak naturally, it mean they press but not too heavy on stresses.
_Listen for stresses help us to reduce the heavy of listening to unimportant words in the sentence. Especially help us to reduce the heavy of listening to contrary stresses, it mean the speaker only press on the element just appeared. For example: someone is holding your case. If you want to ask it back, you only say: This is MY case, to be sure that this is mine, not yours. And listener can understand when they only listen to MY.

denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

4/ Listen for gist:
_In communication, some people bare their ideas clearly, and some people say long, make listener have to analyse, select and then can understand. Want to know what is the speaker communicate, we have to use Listen for gist.
_When listening to anything, we have to have a sense to select the most important the speaker want to transfer. That's gist.
_When listening English, the gist can be expressed by important words have stresses. Every sentences have their own meaning. But when linking them together, not all of them are gist. For example: a boyfriend talk to his girlfriend that today is beautiful, this place, that place has interesting tourist area...etc...and a sentence: "This Sunday, we travel for pleasure, is it OK!" this is gist. The main purpose is the boyfriend want to travel with his girlfriend.
_More difficult that not all message have 1 or 2 gist, because some message have to synthetize all the meaning of all sentences. For example: a friend listen to us when we talk about our visit to London, give his/her thinking about London's sights, unique, beautiful, and you are so lucky...etc...and infer that: "Not all people can have a chance to visit London". So the gists are not the descriptions about London, not the luck, it's expression of dream of visiting London. This is a difficult part in listening and understanding.

denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

5/ Listen for Detail:
_A thing we don't usually concern about, that's both listener and speaker are one. So in order to listen well, we have to know the speaker's words arrangement.
_As usual, when we want to talk about something, want to give a presentation an issue, we have to say the gists clearly. With a teacher, that's a outline. For example when he talk about a theme, he always wrote dashes on the board, that's outline, the gists need to be transfer in the lesson.
_After the gists, we have other ideas to improve gists. That's supporting ideas. With common supporting ideas, user can use description, analysis, or discussion. The relationship between gists and supporting ideas is very close so if we can catch the gists, we can catch the supporting ideas. In supporting ideas there're important ideas and unimportant ideas. An example to distinguish important ideas and unimportant ideas. When talking about reading book we usually say: We need to read book to improve language skill, this is the gist. We have to choose the book suitable with us, this is important ideas. The suitable book consist of how much vocabulary, how much sentences. This is unimportant ideas. First, you need to read book has illustration pictures, this is unimportant ideas.
_Speaking ideally, when listening we need to listen and remember all the supprting ideas improve the gist. That's very simple with a native speaker, because it's their mother tongue. Listening, it require to train carefully.
_Our process is always listening for gist, then finding supprting ideas.
_For example, when we listen to a topic talk about protecting environment. They give ideas of protecting environment: this is supporting ideas. Supposing at a neighborhood has a dirty, smelling, and garbage-drifting lake... This isn't the gist, it's an idea to lead to the gist. The speaker give explaination of the idea to solve the problem: dredge the lake carefully. This is the gist. The speaker explain clearly the steps: (1) Educating people not to thown the garbage to the lake, (2) Having the environment workers to collect the garbage, (3) Having a specialized ship to dredge the lake sole. So this three steps are supporting ideas. They describe and explain clearer the dredging-rules.
_When finding supporting ideas, we have to define the important one to say first. In those three supporting ideas, Educating people is the most important idea, then Having a specialized ship to dredge, and the last Having workers to collect the garbage.
_To make a listening process fully we have to satisfy these requests:
+ Discover the theme quickly. Catch the theme. so we can listen more active....
+ Have good knowledge (about listening theme). Knowledge make us a good condition to understand...
+ Have quick-reaction and discover the gist and supporting ideas, through training...

(Be continue....) :-D
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

6/ Listen for wanted information:
_In daily life, we have many events to listen. However, our listening purposes in those events are different. Sometimes we only need the gists. Sometimes we need the detail. And many other case we listen with our own requirement, it mean listen for what we want. To train for this ability, we need Listen for wanted information technical.
_When you are listen to a paragraph about Sitting at the beach.....Let imagine the sand is under our foot, fall into our hand, the wave's sound, the sponge is drifting....
_In those context, what do you like best?.....Concentrate on listening to it.....
_This is listen for wanted information. When we listen we usually have to define the theme. This is the first step of listening process. Then we have to make purpose that: What do we need? So there's something is unneeded. For example in a message: Once in a country a long time ago there was an artist who made statue. It was the statue of a beautiful woman. This is the theme...
_ With this theme, I want to know that how beaufiful the woman is. This is my listening purpose. So when I continue listening I catch: "People came from many places to look at it". This is the information I want. Other information like: "Because the woman was so lovely", I don't need it because I know it's beautiful. Then: "Even the artist loved the statue". This sentence express how beautiful the statue is. This information satisfy my purpose. Then there's some information about the statue became real human,....That's unneeded....
_At that time, other people also listen to it with other purpose. For example they want to know what happened to the statue. With this purpose, they need to listen to: "He loved her so much that she changed into a living women"...

mybikiny

Post by mybikiny »

Oops :!!: Marvelous advice. You can become a good English teacher. Almost everything that the English beginner(May be with all level) need to read it. Anyway, thanks for useful advices. :-D
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tukanja »

I hope you'll not ask a monkey for this at length. :-D
catlim

Post by catlim »

Wow...I definitely learn a lot from this
Pella

Post by Pella »

Thanks...very informative! I have such trouble understanding what I hear