EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Vocabulary

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Postby Jads » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:14 am

Hi, is it a good start for english-beginner to learn those sentence connector words as their vocab homework?
I somehow think if they learn it well it would be great, as they can use it to write stories or composition,would it be the case for your'all too?
Jads

Postby rehman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:24 pm

the technique to accumulate vacuballary only comes through reading and reading...... at least you must read a newspaper daily because with reading the paper the words will be repeated again and again..... yeah, but dont forget to keep a weighty dictionary whenever you see a difficult word must check it ..... sometime we feel bothering to check the word from dictionary we go ahead ignoring it....... never do that..... the second technique which comes in my mind that make yourself habbitual of reading novel or story books these can keep refresh your vacuballry....
rehman

Postby Cossette » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 am

For me, reading is the best method to increase vocabulary. I keep a vocabulary notebook wherein I can list down the new words with its definition and derivation. Moreover, I write down 3 sentences using the word. Mastering the word by using it in your speech would be very effective.
Cossette

Postby Gerima » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:10 am

i agree that by reading we learn more words. the words, learnt in the context, are remembered much better. So that you know the usage of the word.
Gerima

Brass air fittings

Postby KKKMMM » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:37 am

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/airfitting_1.htm there is just about every type
of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
used some of the parts to make my babington wvo bu
KKKMMM

Postby catcrack » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:00 pm

There is a good site which can help in increasing vocabulary.its quiet useful and fun to use.
http://www.vocabularylearningresources.net/
catcrack

Postby englishhelps » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:31 am

During our training, we usually have our "word for the day". Make an effort to study a new word everyday. You can study what it means and how it's pronounced. Then make sure that at the end of the day, you know it by heart.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:30 pm

If you hear a new word, write it down so you can research on it later on! Make sure you know what it means and how you can use it in a sentence. A word a day keeps the grammar police away! :)
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby rando » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:29 am

Tamaneden,

For me, one of the best and basic way of improving your vocabulary is through reading and listing down all the difficult and new words that you encounter while reading. You can also try doing word games, its not only vocabulary enriching but also fun to do. If you find it hard remembering difficult words then you can try associating these words with pictures. Actually there are a lot of ways, it is up to you which suits you best. As for vocabulary software that you are looking for, I recommend you try visiting www·vocabularysoftware·net since I stumbled upon it on the internet while looking for real cool word games softwares. You can find not only software for word games but also for vocabulary and spelling. Have fun!
rando

Postby englishhelps » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:12 am

^Nice suggestions! It's always fun and effective to learn through games especially if you're in a group. It makes learning more interactive.
englishhelps
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Vocabulary Help