Present perfect tense

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

mini
Rising Star
Rising Star

Present perfect tense

Post by mini »

Present perfect tense
Please explain me this in deep.
The cat has just finished her milk.

The event has just happened and also the result is that there is no more milk in the pan and the cat is quite satiesfied that she is licking her lips by her tongue

note that in the sentence, "This pencil's mine", pencil's mine means, " this pencil is mine" and the pencil's isn't possesive form of the word pencil.

In addition

they speak by gestures (not speaks, speaks is for the third person singular only)

I speak
You speak
He, she, it speaks ( he, she, it doesn't speak. Does he,she, it speak?)
You, We ,They speak (Do they speak?)
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Present perfect tense

Post by Tukanja »

mini wrote:The present perfect tense
Please explain me this in deep. (sorry mini,...not possible under one post :lol:)
The cat has just finished her milk.

The event has just happened and also the result is that there is no more milk in the pan and the cat is quite satiesfied that she is licking her lips by her tongue.

Right!
*. Also the present perfect should be used if the event happened any time in the long or infinitesimally short past. Then we say,' The cat has finished her milk.'
The only thing we are interested in is the result of the event and nothing else.

**. The aspect should be used for events that have been happening for some time which is connected to the moment of speaking for example I have lived in Bosnia since the day of my birth. If I want to say how have I been living I will use the present perfect continuous, for example, I have been living "nicelly". The aspect also means that the way will probably not be changed in the close future. :mrgreen: :lol:

***. If somebody's intention's to determine the time when something's happened by adverb of time or even determine the past time mentioning the place where it's happened the simple past should be used.

Has she gone?
Yes,she has. or
Yes, she went to school. or
Yes, she said she would go to school.

note that in the sentence, "This pencil's mine", pencil's mine means, " this pencil is mine" and the pencil's isn't possesive form of the word pencil.Right, the 's is a short form of an auxiliary verb to be but let me say has nothing to do with the present pefect you mentioned at the beginning of this topic.

In my the *** sentence there are three 's forms with absolutelly different meanings.
the somebody's where the 's is the possesive form of a pronoun (saxon genitive)
the intention's where the 's means intention is... and
the something's where the 's means something has ...

Anyway the present perfect is scarcelly a simple thing as it looks at the first view.

In addition

they speak by gestures (not speaks, speaks is for the third person singular only) Right

I speak
You speak
He, she, it speaks ( he, she, it doesn't speak. Does he,she, it speak?)
You, We ,They speak (Do they speak?)
This aspect has also nothing to do with the present perfect. It is the simple present.
Thank you mini for listening to me but please note I have only told you the way of my seeing the matter.