EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Vocabulary

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Postby englishhelps » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:41 pm

A good game to play is charades. You can use english movie titles and song titles as the criteria.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:09 am

You can also widen your vocabulary by playing a game like scrabble. Just make sure you have a dictionary at hand!
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:01 am

You can also use mnemonics to enhance your vocabulary! These are basically memory tricks to help you remember.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:23 am

Buy a good dictionary! While it will help you look for the meaning of words that you don't know, it's also a good idea to try to learn a few new words each day. What I usually do is open the dictionary by random and point to a random part of the page and then understand the meaning of that word.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:58 pm

I'll post in here some of the new words that I learn everyday. It's good to always have a word for the day.

voluptuary: A person devoted to luxury and the gratification of sensual appetites; a sensualist.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby rojbanks » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 am

Hi !! guys....!! i'm a student here... i read the suggestions regarding the Vocabulary
improve techniques.i usually fallow this tips,but During the conversation ,i can't remember the correct word or phrase.. i have to take time to actully remember it and put in right place in a sentences..it can't help me any way.. and off course there r much more diff. word in dictionary, which i could not differentiate well... any other ways?
rojbanks

Postby Najlooolah » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 pm

learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:
Najlooolah
Silver Member

Postby SuMoNe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:

I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..
SuMoNe
Silver Member

Postby Najlooolah » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:03 am

SuMoNe wrote:
Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:

I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..

:-? too much ...it's too much on me ...I wish If Icould do all these ..
Najlooolah
Silver Member

Postby SuMoNe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:44 am

Najlooolah

yes u can..everything seems to b hard in the beginning..try to use dictionary as much as u can, & btw whenever u search for a meaning of a certain word u'll find the function as well, which will help u to use words properly in a sentense.. good luck :)
SuMoNe
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Vocabulary Help