EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Teaching sex education and religion in school?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Teaching sex education and religion in school?

Postby TalkingPoint » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:57 am

Should subjects like sex education and religion be taught in schools?

What do YOU think?

More about Education
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Re: Teaching sex education and religion in school?

Postby Evangeline » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:39 pm

I think sex education should be put in school curriculum. Nowadays sexual behaviours become more common among teenagers,as they think it's interesting to them and want to have a try.Students just want to search something exciting to do,therefore they try sex.And this has become a trend in our society that most students want to chase behind it. They don't see it as a serious incident. If this trend keep on rising, there'll be more teenagers become pregant before they finish their study.
Schools could teach teenagers more about sex in order to let students know more before they become mature. Becoming pregant should be avoid before students finish their study. Studying in school is their time for learning.
What do the others think??
Evangeline

Postby englishhelps » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:51 am

I am actually in the favor of teaching sex education in school. It's better that way since they spend more time in schools than at home. They're exposed to sexuality in schools being teenagers/youngsters. It's actually better that they learn it from a confined environment like a school where healthy discussion can take place.

Of course, parents should teach their kids about sex as well. Kids learning it from their parents and from school is a better option than them learning it from someplace else. Kids tend to "experiment" things that they don't know about.

As for religion, I think it's ok as long as they don't force it into the students. Everyone has a right to choose their own religion.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby Planta » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:23 am

Well, sexual education is much needed. If it is too much taboo talking about pleasure, ok, just give it a "public health" focus and there will be tons of topics to be explained forever: diseases, pregnancy & responsibility, hormonal maturity, etc.
I believe that, exposed in an honest, broad, natural and principally open way, this could even mild a bit of the mystery and prohibition aura that makes sex so interesting to premature youngsters.
If the approach is broad enough, it will contemplate all cultural / religious backgrounds by mentioning them.
"Ok, people can start their sex life artificially too early, they can start when they naturally feel like regardless any background, they can respect their background and wait for a cultural/religious symbolical moment, such as marriage or adulthood passage rite, etc...

They can then do sex for pleasure, they can refrain from doing it and only use it as a reproduction tool, they can use it as a day-to-day exercise for energy and disposition, etc.

When doing sex, they may prevent pregnancy by doing this and that, or seek pregnancy by doing that and this, but there are DSTs, the matter or trust, etc etc"

... and so on. If it isn't broad enough, sexual teaching should be open and inviting enough.
Diversity, richness, rather than obscurity. Nobody will be forcing students into some specific way, but keeping them well informed in whichever way they choose.

The very, very same goes for religious studies : if it is to be approached, so make it universal, mention from the African Umbanda to the esquimos spiritual belief to Greek Mythology to Buddhism to the hardcore-Catholic Opus Dei. Even if there's only time to scratch the surface and leave rich homework up to the student's interest.
Here in Brazil, "Religious studies" usually mean "One more way to interpret the Bible". Ok, Bible, cool, but DANG, what about the whole humankind religious experience? The Coran, the Mahabharata, the Brazilian Indigenous mythology - at least cite their existence, let me have my insight, make my personal harvest!!

Otherwise, I dare say, it would be better to leave sex and religion unmentioned at school. I really don't see a mid-way that doesn't sound poor or somehow disrespectful.

Horny holy Cheers!

Planta.
Planta

Postby englishhelps » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:48 am

I agree. If they are going to teach sex in schools, it should be all about how to prevent pregnancies and diseases. They should also focus on the possible consequences of having sex. Like they can get pregnant early. They should never encourage kids to have sex or even describe how sex is pleasurable. Do it in an educating manner. They should focus on just giving information and be careful about sparking enough interest for the kids to start doing it.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:46 am

I studied in a Catholic school so it's a given that Catholicism was a way of life for us. It didn't really affect me since I'm Catholic. The good thing is they don't force it to non-Catholics. So as long as they don't force it on people, it should be ok.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby Nanning » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:29 am

In my country, if you don't teach them what sex is, many young people really don't know how to make love. There are extreme cases where young couples cannot have pregnancy ten years after marriages. After being checked by doctors, they are told that the wives remain intact (virgin). It turns out that the husbands has not done the work properly ...

Religion is something private, people with the same interest or faith can gather together talking about it or practising it as they wish. If it is a public school, no teaching of such things, please!

One more thing, do you check your spellings or grammar before you post your replies? We are here to learn English, not for fun, right?
Nanning
Silver Member

Postby englishhelps » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 pm

^Wow. That's weird. Yeah, I've heard about that but I thought it was just a hoax.

Yes we're here to learn English but we're here to have fun as well. Learning should be fun because it is fun!
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby Nanning » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:35 pm

englishhelps wrote:^Wow. That's weird. Yeah, I've heard about that but I thought it was just a hoax.

Yes we're here to learn English but we're here to have fun as well. Learning should be fun because it is fun!

Excuse me, but what do you mean by saying "Wow"? Is it something surprising you?

Why is it weird? Do you think sex can be taught by God or at home by parents or other elders? Mind sharing your experience in this regard and let us judge whether it is weird or not?

There are other sites where you can have fun, wrong English is not fun. We work hard and play hard, but do not think learning is fun, thank you for your attention.
Nanning
Silver Member

Postby englishhelps » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:17 pm

I was surprised that a married couple of 10 years didn't know that you're supposed to have sex to have children. I said Wow in the context of being surprised and it's also an expression of disbelief. It's like saying, "Wow! I can't believe that happened!"

I'm not contradicting what you're saying. I agree that sex should be taught in school.

Learning is fun because learning new information is fun. That's what I meant when I said that learning is fun. For example, you learned something new today. Isn't that fun?
englishhelps
Gold Member

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion