Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Newsweek's hottest 100 books

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Have you seen that?
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy first most important book on Newseek's list.
I hope voters read more than the....title. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Newsweek's Top 100

LM
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Newsweek's hottest 100 books

Post by illusion »

wow, this list is pretty amazing. I read some of these books for my english novel classes, but this is really helpful. Now I finally know what books are worth reading, cos I always waste my time on some bad lit.
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Hi here.

To me this list is highly...pitiful. 4 first books - OMG one politics. Number 3 - Ulysses. Who is able to read it? Who cares?

And number one - specially these days should be changed into CRIME AND PUNISHMENT by Dostojewski. War and peace... should be number 2 these days. My opinion. Ulysses number 15. However still I doubt if CRIME AND PUNISHMENT should be really first on ANY hit list. :roll: :roll: :roll: .
Just to inform.

LM
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by LadyMacbeth »

ps. BESIDES can Lolita be really number 4? Well... if Ulysses is number 3 so why not Lolita number 4... however...

LM

PS1. I would like to ask where is DOCTOR ZHIVAGO?
PS2. And what about biographies? For example HITLER AND STALIN - UNKNOWN FACTS - shouldn't it be number one? Any HITLER AND STALIN biography... not necessarily UNKNOWN FACTS. Just the best already KNOWN biography of these two.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers,
LM
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Ladies {-; As illusion said all those lists are made for making your own desicion and may come in handy, as I sometimes need an advise - I'm so greedy of my spare-time if I waste in on pulp I feel robbed.
and to add more - 3 medalists are always discussed and named undeservingly successful, as far as I remember I read War and Peace at school and found the plot gripping but Natasha stupid :roll: Anyhow I don't feel I'd like to plunge into it again, not now, so with Fedor D.
Truly, I find Doctor Zhivago even more boring than Ulysses, no wonder the novel is Nobel winning, who can read Nobel prize winners :~: while Pasternak's poetry I adore
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LadyMacbeth wrote:Hi here.

To me this list is highly...pitiful. 4 first books - OMG one politics. Number 3 - Ulysses. Who is able to read it? Who cares?

LM
well, I had 'Ulysses' in my English Novel classes, but only some excerpts. And I learned that because of its innovative form it is a very valuable reading ;>
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

LadyMacbeth wrote:Have you seen that?
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy first most important book on Newseek's list.
I hope voters read more than the....title. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Newsweek's Top 100

LM
Have you ever considered the fact they are still the most read and greatest books on this planet Earth? I mean, seriously, just stop someone on the street and ask them if they know, for example, War and Peace, the title in their own language? I bet your ass they highly would know. Even I who don't read books for pleasure know most of those books on the list. They're on the must-read books list in either high school or college.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

LadyMacbeth wrote:ps. BESIDES can Lolita be really number 4? Well... if Ulysses is number 3 so why not Lolita number 4... however...

LM

PS1. I would like to ask where is DOCTOR ZHIVAGO?
PS2. And what about biographies? For example HITLER AND STALIN - UNKNOWN FACTS - shouldn't it be number one? Any HITLER AND STALIN biography... not necessarily UNKNOWN FACTS. Just the best already KNOWN biography of these two.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers,
LM
Hell yeah, Lolita can be number four while I don't think the positional number on the list would make a difference in preference. It's like whatever comes in your mind first and you'll name it number one and so forth. I mean, I like Lolita and Gone With the Wind equally, but who would, in their right mind, choose Lolita over Gone With the Wind? Seriously! Who would?