EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

People in poor countries should have fewer children

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

People in poor countries should have fewer children

Postby TalkingPoint » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 am

In order to reduce poverty people in poor countries should have fewer children

What do YOU think?

Read about Poverty
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Re: People in poor countries should have fewer children

Postby englishhelps » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:04 am

I agree. But it's easier said than done.

Like here in the Philippines, families living in the slum areas usually have more than 5 kids. You can blame it on the fact that they're just at home. They have nothing else to do but procreate.

A population explosion is a major cause of poverty.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby kittyhoang » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 am

TalkingPoint wrote:In order to reduce poverty people in poor countries should have fewer children

What do YOU think?

It is true.

In my country, in some poor places, the young people get marriage so early. Many couple have from 3 children up, their lives are so difficult. They have to work harder but there is not enough food for children. Morver, the children easily get sick . Their lives are so poor. There is no power, no television, not enough cloths too. The children sometime cannot go to school and get a good education. Then they will not get a good job. And they again get marriage earlier and again get a destitute lives.
kittyhoang

Postby englishhelps » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:46 am

It's a wicked cycle. A poor family will have more than 5 kids and their kids will live in poverty and have more than 5 kids of their own.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby kaitoukid » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:08 am

I agree with that statement, but as englishhelps said, it's easier said than done.
As you know, people in the countryside often have to work on the farm and in some developing countries, this kind of work is very hard and it needs a lot of people to involve. So many families think that they must have more children and when they're grown up, they will help their parents to do this work. I think it's a common thought but it's a wrong opinion. Therefore, first of all, we should tell the people here the reason why they should have fewer children and explain that there are many well-paid jobs for their children to choose in the future, so they don't have to follow in their parents' steps. The second reason that makes the people here do not accept that statement is that their life is too poor, and you know poverty can make people do anything to continue their life. Because of that, I think we should have more charity plan to help them.
kaitoukid

Postby Player » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:23 am

englishhelps wrote:It's a wicked cycle. A poor family will have more than 5 kids and their kids will live in poverty and have more than 5 kids of their own.

That is a good example of a vicious cycle :-P
Player

Postby englishhelps » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 am

Yup. That's why it's hard to solve. Poverty is a cause of overpopulation and at the same time, overpopulation is a cause of poverty. So you have to solve those two problems at the same time.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby halfknot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:23 pm

Of course the fewer we are, the more money / person we have. It's an advantage for both sides: the parents have more money, the children won't have poor lifes. But however, most of us want children even if we can't offer good conditions.
I'm posting to improve my English. If you see any grammar/vocabulary mistake in my post, please let me know.
halfknot
Silver Member

Postby englishhelps » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:07 pm

If only we can surely pass on moneymaking genes. Then we can request Bill Gates to have 20 kids so we'll have 20 Bill Gates who can make all those money. I'm joking of course. :)
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby Josef » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 am

halfknot wrote:Of course the fewer we are, the more money per person we have. It's an advantage for both sides: the parents have more money, the children won't have poor lives. But however, most of us want children even if we can't offer good conditions.
Josef
Protector of the Boards
Protector of the Boards

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion