EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Vocabulary

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Postby englishhelps » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:41 pm

A good game to play is charades. You can use english movie titles and song titles as the criteria.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:09 am

You can also widen your vocabulary by playing a game like scrabble. Just make sure you have a dictionary at hand!
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:01 am

You can also use mnemonics to enhance your vocabulary! These are basically memory tricks to help you remember.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:23 am

Buy a good dictionary! While it will help you look for the meaning of words that you don't know, it's also a good idea to try to learn a few new words each day. What I usually do is open the dictionary by random and point to a random part of the page and then understand the meaning of that word.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:58 pm

I'll post in here some of the new words that I learn everyday. It's good to always have a word for the day.

voluptuary: A person devoted to luxury and the gratification of sensual appetites; a sensualist.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby rojbanks » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 am

Hi !! guys....!! i'm a student here... i read the suggestions regarding the Vocabulary
improve techniques.i usually fallow this tips,but During the conversation ,i can't remember the correct word or phrase.. i have to take time to actully remember it and put in right place in a sentences..it can't help me any way.. and off course there r much more diff. word in dictionary, which i could not differentiate well... any other ways?
rojbanks

Postby Najlooolah » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 pm

learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:
Najlooolah
Silver Member

Postby SuMoNe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:

I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..
SuMoNe
Silver Member

Postby Najlooolah » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:03 am

SuMoNe wrote:
Najlooolah wrote:learning needs hard worker..so I am trying to do my best ,but my problem is ...How can I use words in sentence....I asked my teacher about that ..and she told me" you need to understand the part of speech of the word first" can anyone explain that ? :roll:

I think she/he means that u should understand the meaning of words & their grammatical functions whether verbs/nouns/adj/adv ..etc..So u can put each word in the right position within the sentense & use it in a proper way..

:-? too much ...it's too much on me ...I wish If Icould do all these ..
Najlooolah
Silver Member

Postby SuMoNe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:44 am

Najlooolah

yes u can..everything seems to b hard in the beginning..try to use dictionary as much as u can, & btw whenever u search for a meaning of a certain word u'll find the function as well, which will help u to use words properly in a sentense.. good luck :)
SuMoNe
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Vocabulary Help