EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Speaking

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for Speaking

Postby englishhelps » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:00 am

If you're going to speak in front of an audience as a speaker, make sure that you know your material by heart! Don't rely too much on your prepared materials. You should know the subject by heart which will give you more confidence.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:25 am

If you're going to speak in front of an audience, have idiot cards instead of having your whole speech in front of you. Idiot cards or cue cards work best in small index cards. Just write down the topics and guides of what you're going to talk about. Not only will it look more natural, it can develop your speaking skills as well.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby englishhelps » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:54 pm

mathewhayden wrote:Here are some tips by me to you for a good speaking skill. To speak fluently, first you should have confidence in yourself for a good start. And then choose any topic and start writing on that topic first and then take a recorder and start saying what you have written. Then you hear it and notice where you are in fault and then improve it.

Great tips. If you don't believe in yourself, why should your listeners believe in you?
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby mariaa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:54 am

Hello,
I have read your suggestions regarding English speaking. Its very good suggestion. But i want to add something. One should speak in English all the time. Start talking with friends, relatives and colleagues.
mariaa

Postby englishhelps » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:07 pm

Yes you're right. Practice makes perfect. :)
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby jamesmartyn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:29 am

Careful transitions are an important part of preparation. A transition is a bridge from Point A to Point B - a connection between two points. If you learn to use specific transitions, you will improve the fluency of your speech as well as avoiding the verbalized pauses and unnecessary words. Good transitions demonstrate a command of language, thus enhancing your credibility.
jamesmartyn

Postby syakirah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:57 am

sometimes im afraid to talk in english because im scared if i make mistakes... and i cant speak well infront others... but, when im talking to myself i can speak well... so anyone can help me,,, pleazes... :-(
syakirah

confuse

Postby syakirah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:34 pm

however, my vocab is still lacking and sometimes i cant figure out what word must i describe during my conversation, huhu... and when im studying vocab, the vocab that i learn can't be used in the conversation... anyone,, please helpzz mezzz..... :roll:
syakirah

Postby PureGuava » Thu May 27, 2010 5:24 pm

In front of an audience, if the occasion allows it and/or it is quasi-informal, try bringing a little levity:

"You will have to excuse me, English is not my native tongue, so I might pronounce some words poorlier." <pause> "I know, poorlier is not grammatically correct... it's worstest." <pause during laughter> "That was a freebie." <smile then start speech>
PureGuava

Postby maamstmas » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:30 am

Hi, Guys
thanks my brother for your tips,
they are very important to learning speaking,
but if i leave in Arabic country all of theme only speak Arabic language, what can i do?
maamstmas

PreviousNext

Return to Help Each Other with English