How should the problem of piracy be dealt with?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by TalkingPoint »

What do YOU think?
Tom

Re: How should the problem of piracy be dealt with?

Post by Tom »

I think that the authors should change their game-plan a little bit. People who pirate software will continue doing so, and will always be one step ahead in technology of the guys that are trying to catch them.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Indians showed an effective method recently. But I´m not sure if it were the solution.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I believe he's mentioning about pirates on sea. I knew he was talking about that, but you guys had me confused so I had to check the homework section to make sure I had it correctly.

Well, bravo to the Navy for bombing those pirate ships. I don't like pirates except the ones in Pirates of the Caribbean. Movie is movie, though. In real life, they're thieves on sea. And they should be punished severely for their crimes.
taduc

Post by taduc »

I believe it's about pirates on sea also. Piracy has appeared very long time ago and it has not solved until now. With a piece of experience i think they (the government) must conduct inhabitants, job's classification especially in coast areas. Moreover, they should provide settled works and healthy education and don't let people accept piracy is a job of brave heart hero...like what movies or stories are describing.
In case of software, i think it's not really severely. From the other point of view, it can help poor people who can't have much money to buy, use and learn. For instance, it cost nearly 4000usd for one Autocad (drawing software) license but we only need to pay some percentages for cracked version...what you do if you earn less than 1000usd per month.
bhavatmaj

Post by bhavatmaj »

Software companies should make such a programme or code in their software that it will require a validation online(internet) after every few days so that if the user do not have internet he can validate the software via toll free telephone or after few days when he gets internet connection.
And then the software companies can log the keys or serials which are used on more than one computers. And then they can deactivate the software.
bhavatmaj
Handmade beaded necklace from craftsmen of Indian Villages.
tron

Post by tron »

I guess that it's an issue that has no solution, as it appears that some people are thieves by nature, so you can only try and alleviate it, maybe by increasing the number of police boats in the affected areas.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

taduc wrote: For instance, it cost nearly 4000usd for one Autocad (drawing software) license but we only need to pay some percentages for cracked version...what you do if you earn less than 1000usd per month.
Really? Where did you buy it? The price from http://usa.autodesk.com/ is pretty reasonable. It can be from couple hundreds to couple grands depending on the version you'd like to purchase. The best thing to do is call their customer service. The customer representative always gives you the best deal. I called them to get the price for the program I wanted to purchase; it was couple hundreds. I was about to buy it but then I changed my mind and use Google Sketchup instead.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

MissLT wrote: Really? Where did you buy it? The price from http://usa.autodesk.com/ is pretty reasonable. It can be from couple hundreds to couple grands depending on the version you'd like to purchase. The best thing to do is call their customer service. The customer representative always gives you the best deal. I called them to get the price for the program I wanted to purchase; it was couple hundreds. I was about to buy it but then I changed my mind and use Google Sketchup instead.
it's rather a toy compared to Autocad. :-)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Xkalibur wrote:
MissLT wrote: Really? Where did you buy it? The price from http://usa.autodesk.com/ is pretty reasonable. It can be from couple hundreds to couple grands depending on the version you'd like to purchase. The best thing to do is call their customer service. The customer representative always gives you the best deal. I called them to get the price for the program I wanted to purchase; it was couple hundreds. I was about to buy it but then I changed my mind and use Google Sketchup instead.
it's rather a toy compared to Autocad. :-)
Maybe. But if you just need a camera to take picture, it doesn't matter if it's 2 MP or 10 MP or a professional one, which is my case.
halfknot

Post by halfknot »

There's no way to stop the sea piracy. No one can stop someone to buy a boat and sail the seas unless he already killed someone. So they can be punished only after they did the injustice (or at the same time, but more rarely). A way to reduce them is to oversee the seas more carefully which is pretty hard as there's a lot of water. And also, a drastic punishemnt for the ones caught maybe will frighten the rest of free pirates. Ok, no one will get scared, they already know their job isn't the safest one.
dimorphic

Post by dimorphic »

Piracy, on water, is our species regulating itself, in a habitat that is not our own. You can make piracy meaningless by no longer going there (the sea).

Obvious reply: What about the people whose lives depend on fishing?

This 'need' confirms that we have overpopulated the planet; and respectively, confirms the 'need' for piracy and war.

Everyone is doing exactly what they need to do. Why would we want to stop them from doing what they need? They came to earth, to this body, for the purpose of learning exactly what their life as a pirate will teach them. We must feel compassion for them; they will never reach awakening this way. Likewise, we must feel compassion for their victims; but also realize that they too- had a lesson to learn.