EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

British VS American English which is better?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, Dixie, EC

Re:

Postby greenthirteen » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:37 am

danyet wrote:
Xkalibur wrote:
According to my grammar book, BrEng says, for example: Have you had a dinner? AmEng says: Did you have a dinner?
YOur book is wrong. You will hear both ways spoken everywhere. Most of the difference is in the overall accent, particularly the "r"s "a"s, and some minor spelling differences.

Again you are mistaken... Neither of us use either of those phrases... however, we both do say "Have you had dinner?" and "Did you have dinner?" If you did not see the difference between what the fellow wrote and I wrote... then I believe that you should perhaps grab a book or two yourself...

And again, most of the difference is not in the overall accent! They are different, but an accent usually comes from a particular way words are pronounced! The accent is obvious, but word usage is where we differ dramatically...

EG- Toss it in the boot!

or
Put it in the trunk!

Both Americans and British people would say both of these expressions... but one would never say one of them... You, as the expert, post which is which...
greenthirteen

Re: British VS American English which is better?

Postby Danyet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:13 am

It's not important! It is the same language and only the usage varies. Every generation has their peciliarities and they are easily adaptable.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Elba » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:26 am

Why English doesn´t have Academy Languages like Spanish, which has a Royal Academy of Spanish language, and even an Academy for each language spanish country?? and beliveme there are differences and ways to express our ideas.
Elba
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Elva » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:59 am

American English and Brith English I can't distinguish clearly! Because my English is poor.So I want to learn English well, So hope to make friends here.Yours English is excellent! I think so!I'm 21 years old.
Who can help me ? Thanks in advance! ;-)
Elva

Postby plinh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:23 pm

I don't know why but I prefer American English.
However,my teacher said I was better at British English:((
plinh

Postby WIFI » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:46 am

I am a fan of American accent ... it forces you to love english language .. when it comes to British it is tooooooooooooooooo tough .... I dont like it ..
WIFI

Re:

Postby sweethuman » Wed May 25, 2011 5:44 am

Vega wrote::roll: I don't hear any difference between BrEng and AmEng when I'm trying understand it by watching BBC and CNN. If possible, can anybody tell what my writings looks like more, BrEn or AmEn? Or is the difference only in pronunciation?

According to my grammar book, BrEng says, for example: Have you had a dinner? AmEng says: Did you have a dinner?

There is abit difference in accent and pronunciation of both languages, I will mention some words as a sample below:
Opportunity: In Amenglish it is pronounced as (aparchunity)
Opportunity: BrEnglish it is pronounced as (apartunity)

Immediate:
AmEnglish pronunciation (Immediate)
Immediate: BrEnglish pronunciation (Immejiate)

And Many more. But I beleive that is not easily understood. and there is no big difference in writting or speech.
sweethuman
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Savetherocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:58 am

From a structural standpoint, the two dialects are almost identical. When reading text that is written by a native English speaker, I am often unable to discern whether the writer is British or American (I am a native American English Speaker). As many others have noted, the main difference can be observed with spoken English. From as objective as a viewpoint as possible, I believe that American English is easier to comprehend. This is because there there is more distinction between different words due to the larger range of sounds (e.g. farther vs. father) as well as the closer correlation between how a word should be pronounced based on the basic phonetic system of English and the proper pronunciation of a particular word, which is due to the American English revision of spellings (e.g. center vs. centre). As for difficulty of comprehension for a native English speaker of the opposite dialect, both are almost completely mutually intelligible. While some phrases that are used may not be common in the opposing dialect, it is easy to figure out what the intended meaning of the speaker is.
Savetherocks

Postby sweethuman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:21 am

I agree with you @ Savetherocks.
The minor difference can be understood while communicating to them. And American English is easily understood by most of the people and easily learned as well
sweethuman
Rough Diamond Member

Postby muruganji » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi friend

According to me, British is better

Murugan
muruganji
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion