EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Vocabulary

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Postby Najlooolah » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:18 pm

SuMoNe wrote:Najlooolah

yes u can..everything seems to b hard in the beginning..try to use dictionary as much as u can, & btw whenever u search for a meaning of a certain word u'll find the function as well, which will help u to use words properly in a sentense.. good luck :)

Thank U
Najlooolah
Silver Member

Postby Najma » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi all of you

Different people have different tastes. The best way to learn vocabulary is to use and practice them. If you learn a lot of vocabularies a day, without using you will just forget almost
Najma

Postby Sunnypk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:32 am

Usually dictionaries make you bore, when you take a heavy book of dictionary your mood just turned into sluggish and you start thinking how could I remember all vocab: so avoids yourself. so the way I would suggest you to read newspaper, stories, text books and listening and get words and try to use in your own way.
intend to take 3 words daily and make the use of in best way repeatedly. conduct groups and use their ur vocab: really it's effective way
Sunnypk
Platinum Member

Postby Alfa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 pm

I Think that one of the practical ways is to have a palm-paper piece . Then you write 8 words maximum in both front and back But not just words , they should be in context .After that , write the meaning in your own language (I suggest to be written upside down . Finally, put the paper in your pocket , and from time to time , pick it up and have a quick look at them . If you can get it back , that means you succeeded , If not, don't have another paper till you catch it write .
please if you tried this way , please send me a massage .
Alfa

Postby Alfa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:33 pm

I Think that one of the practical ways is to have a palm-size paper . Then you write 8 words maximum in both front and back But not just words , they should be in context .After that , write the meaning in your own language (I suggest to be written upside down) . Finally, put the paper in your pocket , and from time to time , pick it up and have a quick look at them . If you can get it back , that means you succeeded , If not, don't have another paper till you catch it write .
please if you tried this way , please send me a massage .
Alfa

Lead Answer

Postby anneparker » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi, i really like the tips for English and you know after reading your tips now i can say that i can speak in English.
anneparker

Postby clevermae » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:39 am

It is often helpful to have some kind of "hook". Better be practice anytime as you memorize your vocabulary, never stop until you got that. I know it's so annoying sometimes but when your done it's feel like lighter to know everything!
clevermae
Silver Member

Postby DavidChoi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 am

thanks Pirate, your advice is useful for me, and i will try it.
for me, number 2. try to read articles is very good way to memorize vocabulary.
actually, i have already been trying it now. It is feeling difficult but actually, effects to learn vocabulary.
and number 4. is also I agree it comes into effect. but it is so annoying, because I couldn't write the words that i don't know down all the times.
number 3 is I think It doesn't effect very well, and number 1. is the same also.
so, my point is number 2 is really very good way and i am also using it now. you can use it number 4 also. write the words down on your notebook.
DavidChoi

Postby nguyettall » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:24 am

i learned about 20 words a day but i forget most them the next day. That is my trouble. I searched on the net and i found a lot of ways to learn vocabulary. Hey they affected me.
i really worry about my english. Now i try to learn english every time. I learn it when i am sleeping, cleaning housework and cooking.
i hope that my english will become better in the future.
If everybody have a special way, please will show it for me.
Thank you very much!
nguyettall

Postby Oriani » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 pm

nguyettall wrote:i learned about 20 words a day but i forget most them the next day. That is my trouble. I searched on the net and i found a lot of ways to learn vocabulary. Hey they affected me.
i really worry about my english. Now i try to learn english every time. I learn it when i am sleeping, cleaning housework and cooking.
i hope that my english will become better in the future.
If everybody have a special way, please will show it for me.
Thank you very much!

Hi!
It's normal for everybody to forget to many words studied ( not learned) per day.
The most important point is learning at least 5 words during an English class: Use them in context, practice them and use them all day long or at least during your English class with your teacher and classmates (or by yourself If you're not studying in an institute) so that you can stablish the knowledge, you got me? For example: Speech ; So, use that word in several sentences so that you CAN remember the meaning , the function and so on.
I hope this can help you.
Best Wishes.
Teacher Oriana.
Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

PreviousNext

Return to Vocabulary Help