EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

People in poor countries should have fewer children

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: People in poor countries should have fewer children

Postby Vega » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:13 pm

You can solve a problem of poverty by reducing number of newly born children. But this will turn out into another problem for a country, such as a demographic crisis. That means a serious menace for a nation to be invaded by other rich nations. I think in order to reduce poverty a government should somehow help people, propose some social programmes.
Vega
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby englishhelps » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:46 pm

A country should actively push for safe sex. It was started here in the Philippines a few years ago. Health centers were giving out free condoms to slum areas. There were also infomercials actively suggesting that we engage safe sex and use contraceptives. But the Catholic Church wasn't supportive of the idea because they're against the use of contraceptives.

Now I think the Philippines is around 80 million in population. That's a lot for a small country.
englishhelps
Gold Member

Postby SNAZZY » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:40 pm

The best example we can have to understand whether people in poor countries should have fewer children is: A FAMILY. A family is a smallest version of a country. Imagine a man getting married to a woman. Now it becomes a family. Imagine again that he's the bread-winner of the two. His income will be shared by two to run the family.Later this man & woman will have a child.It means, then onwards his income should be shared by three.From here onwards you can imagine what will happen to that man every time he gets another child.His income can not increase drastically every time he gets a new child. Unless he's a successfull business man. Even he should think twice because nothing is guaranteed. Here a FAMILY or the BREAD-WINNER is compared to a COUNTRY.What will happen to that man whenever he gets a new child. Similarly what will happen to that country each time a new one is arrived. It will affect the per capita income . So every bread-winner should think how many children should he/ she have because this not only decides the fate his/her family but also the fate his/her country too. Every poor country should understand why it has remained poor. Her people should understand that you need to have two important things to stay away from the poverty: a)Education b) Job or Work. If people of those poor nations have these two things then they will stop producing children unnecessarily because either they'll be busy in studying or busy in their works. There is no room for idle devil's mind.
From SNAZZY, INDIA
SNAZZY

Postby doxology » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:44 pm

Yes, ofcourse

Strongly, I agree with this point , I always discuss it with my frinds
how a poor family have 8 or 7 children , it is a kind of a careless , how to feed , educate them. A child in these families suffer from several problems, he cant take his right of education, love.

sadly, almost of the poor families have alot of children, I dont Know what is the secret behind this. Is it a fate or tendency for them to have such a number of children.
doxology

Postby lyphan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:34 am

It clear that this opinion be true. Children need not only food for existing but also everything for development.
In the poor countries, children have to work hard to earn a living, no education, no entertainment...A question is why in these countries, a family has so many children while it cannot afford its children to develop. In my opinion, the main reason is the low level of people's cultural standard.
In the poor countries like Vietnam, people have a conception of sexual discrimination. People believe that men are better than women, so couples try to give birth to a baby again and again until they have a male child. Moreover, because of the low level of people's cultural standard, they don't have methods of contraception. After giving birth to a baby, couple have sex, and don't use methods of contraception, and then give birth to a baby, over and over. Their lives become a cycle that children have not enough conditions to develop, and then get married youthfully, and do the same as their parents.
So, what we, the rich countries, the world need to do is help the people in the poor countries develop their conception, their life standard.
lyphan
Silver Member

Postby FOREVER » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:00 pm

SOME COUNTRIES ARE VERY RICH BUT THEIR PEOPLES ARE VERY POOR ........AND THE NUMBER OF CHILDREN I THEINK HAS NOTHING TO DO HERE...........
IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES THERE ARE INJUSTICES.........FOR INSTANCE PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THE SAME OPPORTUNITIES FOR JOBS...IN ADDITION TO THE FACT THAT THEY ARE LAZY AND ILLITERATE .SO POVERTY ADDED TO ILLITERACY CERTAINLY GIVES HORRIBLE LIFE PLENTY OF MISERY , SORROW...........
I LOVE CHILDREN AND OF COURSE PARENTS MUST BE AWARE OF THEIR RESPONSIBILITY FIRST........IN MY COUNTRY ALGERIA....I WOULD SAY PEOPLE ARE NOT REALLY POOR BUT OUR PROBLEM IS THAT EVEN AS ADULTS CHILDREN RELY TOO MUCH ON THEIR PARENTS ESPECIALLY THE BOYS BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN EDUCATED AS PARASITES IAM SORRY FOR THE WORD..........
EVEN AS ADULTS THEY MAY LIVE ON BEHALF THEIR PARENTS ........IN THEIR HOUSE.......WITHOUT PAYING A PENNY BECAUSE THEY THINK THAT IT IS A RIGHT........
ESPECIALLY IN THE EASTERN PART OF THE COUNTRY THINGS ARE UPSIDE DOWN.......
FOREVER

Postby rakyung » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Actually, the question makes me sad. Poor countries people have right to born their child. But the sole reason they don't have enough money to rise children, it can't be.
I think it's a kind of crime. The solution is that their goverment must to supply each domestic. I hope to overcome this sad situation as soon as they possibly can.
rakyung

Postby coolg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 am

I totally agree with this topic. Especially, for families with low living standards , it is among the first way to succed their children. For the rich ones, they can have many children because their futures are more or less assured, mainly for those with housewife.
But whatever the situation is, having many children can reduce the ability of parents to work correctly and to get opportunities for many activities, especially for women.
coolg

Postby cruimel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:42 am

I think people in poor countries understand well that is better to have fewer children, but what could they do, if they don't have any contraceptions and the government or church doesn't help Many of women even do illegal abortions..., but I think you have to blame the government, not poor people
cruimel

Postby manal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:56 pm

hi all,
government may have the solution but can we obligt it to do so?
so, i think , the correct way for reducing poverty is through limiting the number of the children so that poor people can give the rights to their children in a satisfied way.
manal
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion