The "stops" in the middle of the sentence.

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

The "stops" in the middle of the sentence.

Post by Aikuzo »

Hello,

I'm stopped working on my grammar for about a year but now I'm back.: ) Got some question again:

"So lets say you are trying to research to be a very powerful knight... first find out what a powerful knight looks like."

I'm kind of confuse about what should I do whenever I wrote sentence that involve that "stop" kind of thing like in this sentence the one after the word "knight". Normally I use "..." whenever there's a stop but when I write article I think if I use it a lot it kinda messed up what my article looks like. Can I just go ahead and write:

"So lets say you are trying to research to be a very powerful knight. First Find out what a powerful knight looks like"

Or can I just go straight like "So lets say you are trying to research to be a very powerful knight first find out what a powerful knight looks like" and still consider this as grammatically correct?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: The "stops" in the middle of the sentence.

Post by Joe »

Those stops are called ellipsis
http://www.englishclub.com/writing/punc ... lipsis.htm

When you quote something you should not change it. If you change it, it is no longer a quote.

Your first sentence is correct grammatically (except for the missing apostrophe in let's) but the second one is outrageous!!!