We need YOUR help in American Culture Study!!!

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Midkit

We need YOUR help in American Culture Study!!!

Post by Midkit »

Hello,
I'm a teacher of English at Astrakhan State University in Russia and a postgraduate student. I'm studying American Culture. My project is devoted to such people as "pioneers", or to be more exact, to the way people of The USA see them ('cause the way we, in Russia, and real Americans understand this image can be quite opposite. And as we suppose Pioneers played (and still play) a very important part in the History of the USA.

So, please! If you consider youself part of American Culture, answer the following questions. It will take you only 2-3 minutes!

We are interested in YOUR OWN idea of who are the Pioneers, so, please, do not look up in the encyclopedias or dictionaries, just give your views on the following. Thank you!!!)

Information about you:

sex

occupation

The questions of the research:

I.) What words/phrases come to your mind, when you hear “pioneer”?

II.) When I think of a "pioneer" the following pictures come to my mind:

III.) Continue the following phrases:

a.) A pioneer always …

b.) A pioneer never …

IV. Do you know any famous pioneers (if "yes", give their names)?

Thank you!!! Your response is GREATLY appreciated!
Midkit

Re: We need YOUR help in American Culture Study!!!

Post by Midkit »

Hello!
We are still in great need of your help!
We'd be very glad to learn your ideas on who the Pioneers are)))
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

hi,my Russian friend!  The word pioneer strikes me as someone who can do something that others are afraid to do,in the context of the USA, those people who were forced to migrate to the West can be described as such, and in the context of your country, those who survive the extreme climate of Siberia are also pioneers.Hope this can help you a little.
I learnt some Russian language earlier, and I as most of Chinese do enjoy the song "the night in surburb of Moscow", is it a popular song in your country or is only known to foreigners?
Midkit

Post by Midkit »

Hi, Nanning!
Thank you very much for your answer)))
Nanning wrote:I learnt some Russian language earlier, and I as most of Chinese do enjoy the song "the night in surburb of Moscow", is it a popular song in your country or is only known to foreigners?
It is a well-known song by all Russian people. But it's an old one, so I can't say it's popular with young people. But our grandparents may enjoy singing it at different family parties, when the family gather togother at table and after dinner we may sing some of old or modern songs (to guitar or, what it very popular today - to karaoke) )))
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

China shares many similarities of the former USSR, or to some extent, China was a copy of the Soviet Union,so the older generation can speak and read Russian, as you may have known, since the founding of new China in 1949, China has dropped English and designated Russian as the major foreign language until 1978 when China began to open the door to the world.
Now we can see many Russian girls working in China. The other day I met two of them in a local supermarket, first I held them to be English-speaking westerners and said hello to them, but it turned out they were from Russia as I could judge from their conversation. I tried to strike some small talk with them in my clumsy Russian, but what I knew was only "yaliubuliujebia","yanezinayu","yakidayiska" or "daswedania",(I hope you could understand, so I do not write down the English version), which might have caused embarrasement had I said them. But the two girls were gorgeous, really,heheh!
We also have other Russian visitors to my city. Vitas, the good-looking guy with golden voice, sang in a local gala, which was amazing! So was the Red Army chorus singing the old songs or red songs,which reminded us of the communism and the revolution.
I myself stayed in California for a while and saw many US films or dramas,so I know a little of American culture.
Midkit

Post by Midkit »

Nanning wrote:China shares many similarities of the former USSR, or to some extent, China was a copy of the Soviet Union
What about now? Is China still preoccupied with the communist ideology?

I understood everything except for "yakidayiska"? What's this?)))
Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning »

My answer to your question is "Я китайский", obviously, I made a mistake in the ending of the word.
I suggest you should shift your research focus onto China, which is more interesting than America.
Perhaps you may say English is the language I have learned, why should I make such a change? But as you know, China has become the country with the largest English-speaking population, which means in the future how the language will develop and in what direction this world language will go may most probably be decided by Chinese people.
Just like the king or queen English which is regarded as the standard for a long time has been overthrown by the American English which was long regarded as vulgar and uncivilized. But the melting pot culture and the large number of Hollywood movies have changed the landscape, making the royal English something outdated.
Up to you, my Russian friend.
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

Very interesting what you say, friends.
KeepUpRichard

Post by KeepUpRichard »

I'm an American and would like to help out. I just hope this isn't too late.

I.) What words/phrases come to your mind, when you hear “pioneer”?

'adventurous', 'strong willed'

II.) When I think of a "pioneer" the following pictures come to my mind:

I think of the old days when the United States was still in its infancy and the west was first being discovered. I think of things like the Oregon Trail or the California gold rush. However, in today's terms I think of pioneers such as NASA (going to space and exploring) but I also think of business pioneers (such as Facebook...as crazy as that may sound).

III.) Continue the following phrases:

a.) A pioneer always …
is prepared.

b.) A pioneer never …
is a coward.

IV. Do you know any famous pioneers (if "yes", give their names)? Niel Armstrong, Daniel Boone (sp?)

I hope I hit the area you were looking for.
Midkit

Post by Midkit »

"I suggest you should shift your research focus onto China, which is more interesting than America."

I quite agree with you that the majority influences the language and this, actually, concerns everything.
But I concentrate not on the language itself, but on the culture that is shown through the language. I'm sure Chinese culture is great and immense to study, but to be able to do it using methods of our Lingvocultural school, I must know Chinese, 'cause the riches of your culture are reflected in the Chinese language and not in the widespread in China English l-ge.
Midkit

Post by Midkit »

KeepUpRichard,
That is not late at all! I need at least 100 answers (of course, I posted to some other forums, but it's going very slow). So your answer is of GREAT help!
Thank you very much, especially for such various ideas about who the Pioneers are/were:
KeepUpRichard wrote: I think of the old days when the United States was still in its infancy and the west was first being discovered. I think of things like the Oregon Trail or the California gold rush. However, in today's terms I think of pioneers such as NASA (going to space and exploring) but I also think of business pioneers (such as Facebook...as crazy as that may sound).
Midkit

Post by Midkit »

I'll be away for some time and have no access to the Internet, but I'd greatly appreciate more responses to the poll! Thanks {-: